Euro trip(part 1: Venice, Florence, Rome)


This summer..

I am going to Europe.

Madrid, Barcelona, Venice, Florence, Livorno, Monte Carlo, Rome.

So basically Spain, France, and Italy. And Monaco



Here we go. I am writing this the day before a flight to Toronto for a transfer.

WHAT I AM BRINGING:

Cubicle Pro Shop MGC. It's my backup main.
MF8. An 8x8 that does not have a battery life and kills A LOT of time.

Pixel 3a. My new phone with data. Has a really nice woven seascape case.
Samsung Galaxy 3(3 is my lucky number literally). My mom's old phone. It has no data but I'll use it to listen to podcasts and music on the planes/trains and record times. Also has a bunch of games like geo dash.
Earbuds. Because common sense.

A notepad+pencil. A really dumb one but I need a small journal.

These two stuffed animals name shamu and bronzy. I've brought them to all my vacations.


Unbroken. My mom is making me read this book called Unbroken. It's kinda good but also really sad. 

Cream. My eczema isn't really improving. 








Ok I'm writing this a day after the trip.


Holy fudging goodness what do I say first uhhh.

Okay lots of things happened that I am rly embarrassed about. I cracked my pixel 3a, my sister broke my glasses on accident, and uh my mom lost two hats lol.


Ok so about that notepad thing I was so close to finishing it I had only two pages front and back left.

I wrote 20 pages front and back.




Here are some context things you need to know about before I start writing stuff.

  1. 1 euro=1.14 dollars, so basically a dollar is almost a euro. Whenever I write something was worth ____ euros, just replace it with dollars and it will pretty much be the same.
  2. Train=metro/subway. It's kinda a habit for me to say train. During the Barcelona and Madrid days I took the "train" a lot which is basically a metro or subway.



Alright.

Here was the plan.

DAY 0=Plane
DAY 1-2=Venice
DAY 3=Florence
DAY 4-5=Rome
DAY 6-12=CRUISE
DAY 6=Rome/cruise
DAY 8=Florence
DAY 9=Naples and Pompeii
DAY 10=Monte Carlo, Monacco
DAY 11=Cannes, France
DAY 12=Palma de Mallorca, Spain
DAY 13=Barcelona
DAY 14-15=Madrid
DAY 16=Plane




Alright we are starting. :OOO Why am I stressed.

Here are all highlights/cool places I went to. You'll definitely know these names. I'll put it in that gray color thing if you don't want a spoiler. If you do just highlight it.

Colosseum, Venice, Pompeii, Sistine Chapel, FC Barcelona arena, La Sagrada Familia




(NOTE IF IMAGES AREN'T LOADING REFRESH)


DAY 0

     I had to wake up at 4:30 AM to catch a flight to Toronto where I would transfer and take a flight to Venice, Italy. During the drive to the San Francisco airport, the sunrise was actually kinda cool. 
On the four hour Toronto flight, I literally beat Fingerdash, the last(but not hardest) level of geometry dash. On the plane there were those screens in front of you where you could watch movies, so I watched....

The Captain Underpants Movie

     Believe it or not George and Harold got me entertained and had decent animations. There were too many cheesy moments but it did have a great message. Other than that movie I played a bunch of burrito bison(it's a game) on my phone and before you know it I'm in the city of Toronto. 
SFO-TORONTO
     I expected a lot of Raptors merch but I only saw two people with Raptors gear and they were hats. However, I did see this in the Toronto airport:




I don't think it means Raptors. I never knew that "We the North" was not only a Raptors slogan.

One thing I also noticed was Fanta in Toronto.

US Fanta looks like this:

And Canadian Fanta.




     I ate this burger for lunch at the airport and I spent the next three hours stuck in the Toronto airport. I killed time by walking around the airport and checking out these iPads. YES THEY HAD LIKE LEGIT 500 IPADS THAT YOU COULD USE.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18378305@N00/16727072373


     The plane ride to Venice felt really long considering the fact that there were no screens in front of me(yes, I'm spoiled). I spent the time playing Where's My Mickey? on a kindle fire and I listened to so many podcasts that I ended up relistening to some.


     After the eight hour flight, it was technically day two because of time zones so..

DAY ONE


     We took a bus from the airport to the actual city of Venice. Once I got there I was really hungry so I got a chocolate croissant. Then we walked to the hotel room and dropped off our luggage.


This is Venice. One of the most unique cities of them all. There is not a single car. All the highways are water highways and there are many water buses around Venice. Many people own boats, which is like our car. The great thing about pedestrians in Venice is the ability of not having to cross a road. You just take a bridge. It is inconvenient for luggage though. Technically now that I'm thinking about it you could build bridges over streets so there is no need for crossing the street but not only are many bridges need to be constructed, it isn't needed as much as in Venice. In all the other cities, it's not a big problem crossing a street because while there is a red light on the perpendicular side, you will be able to cross on flat land, so it really is an addition to the car driver and doesn't affect any car drivers. Of course building a bridge would affect the pedestrians, but the cars will still experience no difference.


Anyway, Italian people's accent is so funny.

give me tHE PEEEEEEEEza

hopefully that wasn't racist.


The streets of Venice were covered with tourists and were crowded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14J8ptULpQI&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, we walked around a bit.










My sister and I ate pizza at Gino pizzeria(my mom doesn't like pizza(HOW DO YOU NOT LIKE PIZZA THO))



The pizza was pretty good but was too big. compared to American pizza I felt that there wasn't as much tomato sauce and that it was thicker.

Then we walked around some more and saw this chocolate store thingy.




Then we ate gelato which is ice cream in French. I got cookies and cream. It tasted average lol



We saw this backyard with a random turtle walking. I was really confused.


At 2 PM we were so sleepy from jetlag that we went back to the hotel and slept for four hours.


https://youtu.be/KqMisrOXlNE
At 6:40 or something we took a waterbus just so we could look around and stuff. 


props to google photos for creating these stylized photos.

After we got off the bus we walked around and checked out this nice plaza. These are pretty common in Venice.



Lots of buildings in Venice are old-fashioned, tall, and filled with windows. This lamp thing was kinda cool I guess.





''





     There are many big roads in Venice that have a side path with a small walkway. Normally minor stores are seen in these small walkways and apartments. These small walkways lead to more and you can really get lost in this city.

https://youtu.be/z3FtQLt9KmY


After we walked around we went to this restaurant.




I wish I took a picture of the outdoor seating because it was really nice out there.

They gave us a bunch of bread stuff in the beginning.



While I was waiting for the food my sister and I went to a nearby candy shop called Captain Candy.




Hazelnut. Not hard at all. Tasted pretty good.



Big gummy bears.


It looked really overpriced though.



Anyway my sister and I shared a salad and spaghetti. I gotta say that Italian salads are great.

Then we walked around a bit more and listened to some music. This guy had a soprano saxophone which was really cool. It honestly sounds better than any other saxophone and definitely more pretty. You play it like a clarinet.
https://youtu.be/rZ89ZxT4DME

We bought water, then took a waterbus back to the hotel. I wrote stuff then GG


Day 2

     We somehow woke up at 11 AM meaning all three of us somehow slept through the alarm. It was a bad look because the next day we would have to take an early train and if we missed it...

     Today was going to be the day where we take a water bus to three different parts of Venice. Three different islands kind of.

     After brushing out teeth, we directly went to the waterbus. We had a 24 hour thingy so we could get unlimited usage of the waterbus for 24 hours. 
     Our first stop was someplace called Murano, which was known for its glass-making industry. It was once Europe's top glass-maker and it's glass-making industry used to be located in mainland Venice before fire threats forced the furnaces to be moved to Murano. 
(Yes I will try to do some research now because I don't wanna be a lazy bum)


Anyway, our stay there was kinda short because it got kinda boring.

The highlight? Once we got there we saw a factory, and when we went to take a look this nub came up to us and was like

"HEY! 3 EUROS BYEBYE"

Literally. What if we had 3 euros? The nub just went 3 euros byebye then pushes us out. It was honestly just funny.


The streets or canals or whatever you call them looked the same as mainland Venice, except for the stores. Half of the stores literally sold glass.





Even a Christmas tree made out of glass.





Each store was like that first image up there.

We didn't go inside many because we felt like we would break something.


We then ate lunch. My sister and I shared tomato spaghetti.



After that we took another waterbus to another island called Burano.

on the way the kelp was kinda cool i guess.


Anyway, Burano is said to have each building painted a different color. As soon as I read that, I was really stoked and did not want to see any pictures. From a view from the boat, the city already looked so colorful. The bright colors on each buildings were originally painted to help fishers navigate. At one point it's main industry was fishing and still kinda is.



Just like Venice, except for it's colorful!

EVERY SINGLE BUILDING IS COLORFUL.

Literally all the apartments are painted.


LIterally I'm using literally too much...literally.

ctrl f..
types literally

9 TIMES!!!

well technically six times but that's uh a lot. It's slang and I'm using it six times heheheh.

Anyway, I saw a cat just sleeping in an aisle. awww


Anyway, google assistant just made that picture look better.




Pretty nice huh.

https://youtu.be/ofWMMoKBLR4




Later on I got Fanta, but not only Fanta..

LEMON FANTA



It tastes really good. It's cold and is just like sprite but less fizz and more lemon. I feel like there is not as much artificial flavoring in the lemon Fanta.





We also saw this leaning tower which was pretty cool.






Another thanks to google photos for that stylized photo.

Anyway, there are a lot of pidgeons everywhere.




A store with a bunch of paintings/drawings on it. Pretty cool


After that we took a waterbus to Lido, a separate island from Venice I think. I forgot cars existed until I saw Lido. Anyway, it was just a normal Italian street kinda with this pretty cool beach.


We stayed their for forty minutes before going back to mainland Venice. We walked around and found this really cheap and solid pasta place. You basically got to build your own pasta and stuff and they cook it for you. It was only 7 euros I think.



We saw a market on a boat which I thought was creative.



For a while I thought the canals had no sealife but there are LOTS of crabs and fish that people can't see because of the polluted water.




Then we decided to take a gondola for a total of 100 euros.

Basically a gondola  is this boat thing and you sit and this guy rows and it lasts around 30 minutes. Honestly not worth the money but it might be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

https://youtu.be/rWYDo-LEJrU


The guys name was Marco, and I'm pretty sure he's that one average Italian man.

He said that he and his family live in a house, where his mom is a housewife and his dad also works the gondola. Everyday he either eats pasta for lunch or dinner. He said he always eats pasta...

Other days he eats pizza.

His accent is really funny though.




https://youtu.be/xHKcjK5f0ks

In that video you could see that market thing picture from the back



Put my own effect on that one

which one is better



https://youtu.be/3Pdbd05lyp0

at around 20 minutes you will be able to hear these kids saying "papa, (stuff i can't understand)"

he points at the net and goes "largo!"

lol



pidgey


spamming the pause button actually creates a cool effect








After the gondola we walked around some more.




Italian kids playing soccer

These penalty kicks though


we also got these nutella thingies which was hecka weird.

The breadsticks and nutella was great obviously but I really wondered why they gave us a straw. In the front, it said lemonade.

Like why would you put lemonade in it though. It didn't even taste like real lemonade. 

Those fountains can be found a lot. They're constantly running which is weird.

Anyway, we called it a day at around 10 PM and went home. We checked the train station to see what it was going to be like tomorrow.



On the way back I got my first slushie.

This would mark the beginning of probably a ton of slushies I would drink.

HECKA GOOD. SO SWEET, AND THE ICE JUST MAKES IT ON THE NEXT LEVEL. 100% RECOMMENDED







DAY 3

     Woke up at 7 AM and ate really good breakfast at the hotel. There was bread and stuff. Forgot to take a picture. We then went to the train station to catch a 9:25 train to Florence.


I gotta admit I wasn't expecting this:


Nice seats with tables. For some reason they put those garbage cans there xD. Wait..

I meant :D


I took a timelapse on i think 30x or something. It's pretty cool I guess. https://youtu.be/2retFJ_Cnvs

The two hour train ride was spent watching TV after reading. 

Florence is basically known for it's art stuff. I tried researching stuff but I fell asleep after reading some fluff on how they were good at art stuff. 



Right off the bat you could already see some towers and stuff.





Florence is hecka hot.


Anyway, we ate lunch at this chinese restaurant after going to our hotel and dropping off our luggage. 


Then we went and walked around again.




I gotta see a real live action brawl with pidgeons. Y'all have to watch this video. 





There are many plazas in Florence. I remember learning about its economic importance in banking, and about how it was really strong in that way. However, I didn't notice any banks. It could've simply been that their names aren't just called "bank" and that their banks look somewhat as old architecturally to other buildings in its surroundings.

I went inside one of a public hallways and it had a weird rainbow line of hammocks. It was lowkey hecka dirty and filled with kids not looking where they're rolling and accidentally kicking you.


Anyway, we started heading towards a fairly famous bridge in Florence.






Bang.



There are two bridges, one being simply a bridge and the other holding some houses and stores. The famous one has stores and apartments with an opening in the center for a neat view. It's is known as the Ponte Vecchio, and the one we were closest to was just a simple bridge called Ponte Santa Trinita. Ponte Vecchio is the oldest bridge in Florence.



The view of Ponte Vecchio from our bridge. You can see a great view from Santa Trinita.
QUICK TRIVIA: Ponte means stand in Italian yayay

Anyway I didn't get a picture of Ponte Santa Trinita but later on I will ;)

The walk signs low-key look like the nub is pointing his middle finger.




Like Venice, Florence is filled with many dirty and small aisles that cars and motorcycles can drive through. The sidewalk is very thin, so when we were carrying our luggage to our hotel it was very difficult walking through these when cars would drive by.




We then started a 15/20 minute walk to a garden, and we went through a neighborhood, with a church in the middle of it.





Since there are no garages, these cars are strictly lined up lol. Must be hard parking and stuff.



During our walk to the garden, I was wearing short sleeves, which was a very bad idea.

I cannot describe the intense burning I was feeling in the 102 degree Florence I was feeling. The hot sun caused my elbow pits(is that what it is called?) to become sweaty, and when sweat enters rashes, it burns and hurts. Not only that but my neck was acting up. So what I did with my jackup was put a sleeve down by back, wrapped around the body part around my neck, then wore the other sleeve. I would then use my mom's hat and wrap it around my arm. I also tuck my glasses in my shirt as they fall out when sweat enters it.

I will NEVER live in Italy with this type of weather man. When I got to the garden I was determined to finally be able to sit down in the shade and relax.

When all the sweat stopped and stuff, I felt MUCH better.




Welcome to the Boboli Garden, the biggest garden in Florence. Some of the sculptures here are from the 16th century, and the 111 acre Boboli garden is said to be an outdoor museum that includes Roman antiquities. There are numerous fountains and small museums contained in the garden and costs 10 euros to enter.

There are many shady spots where you can literally just lie down.





I saw a small lizard mounting a tree

















Yes there's even a church here










Speaking of chess, in my free time I would play this game called really bad chess on my phone a lot. It's chess but the pieces are placed in different places, for example a pawn can be in the back row and a bishop or knight can be in the front row. I got to rank 76 or something.










Afterwards, My sister and I shared this aw fudge what was it called again.

Ok after like five minutes of intense google maps search I finally found it.

PINSA(tada)

Ok anyway my sister and I ate a PINSA(tada) and the PINSA(tada(ok I'll stop now)) had ham, tomatoes, and an overload of vegetables.

In case you don't know, a PINSA(tada(one last time lolll) is just weirdly shaped pizza with no tomato sauce. Italians just created this so that every day it wasn't just pizza pasta spaghetti....they had variety...like PINSA(TADAAAA)


Anyway, we started walking towards the Ponte Vecchio, and my feet were dying(yes I'm weak but idcirana10khabetyoucantdothat)




FLORENCE IS CROWDED ALRIGHT.


Along the way we saw this:



bruh










I still can't believe UberEats exists in Florence xD

We heard music coming from a direction so we decided to check it out.



I do not know why there was a big party with music and dancing people and disco balls xD



Keep in mind that this raw photo was taken at 9:30 PM...



No this is not the actual David it's a replica. It's still IMO a magnum opus(plz dont kill me im trynna use my vocab)


Anyway, gelato is ice cream in English, and like I said, there has to be one gelateria in every two blocks. They sometimes have slushies, but the thing that makes them different from American ice cream stores is the display.





I like how thye just stuffed a pineapple lol

Anyway, I forgot to take pictures of Ponte Vecchio, but it was pretty cool. All the stores were closed by the time I got there though.

Our hotel room was kinda cool I guess.






GG Florence.



DAY 4

     Woke up at 7 to catch a train to Rome, and ate GREAT breakfast. Wow it was pretty nice. 



Main reason was because they had apple juice.


The train to Rome was pretty much the same in terms of layout as the one to Florence, except there was only one trash can.






I mainly watched TV on the train ride.

I thought Rome was going to be basically the same as Florence and Venice in terms of stores but NO.


  1. A weird amount of American food
  2. Very historic
  3. Not many pidgeons
  4. Lots of Indian people illegally selling water, umbrellas, souvenirs, or weird toys.
  5. The town is like China
  6. Very cool

Anyway, as soon as I arrived at Rome, I went to the hotel to drop off luggage.



Idk why but this menu was written really nice





Right off the bat there were a bunch of really cool and old buildings. This one is called the Basilica Papale di Santa Maria.

It's the largest Catholic Marian church in Rome, or whatever that means(looking at wiki right now)

It's basically a church with paintings and stuff.



Google Photos MVP with the autoeffects though







My mom got an ice cream and they gave us a small cone for me xD

Oh yeah I forgot. I got this legend:










Ok I'll stop

I'm not joking when I say Rome is full of historic churches.





Thanks to google maps I'm pretty sure this was what the entrance looked like:

We then walked by this beast:


Just another random church :|


     Like I said, there are a bunch of people walking around, confronting people like "water?" or "hat! Very sunny!" I honestly just feel bad for them. I didn't really take any pictures specifically of them. When you get to other countries, these seller people grow, laying out blankets with sunglasses or souvenirs or hats. 


Somewhere along this path was where Julius Caeser was killed

If you don't want to see a dead bee then quickly scroll down.




This is known as the Piazza Venezia or Palace of Venice. It was built by someone from Venice and is servedas the embassy part of the Republic of Venice. It was the place where many famous Italian dictators gave speeches.

We decided to eat lunch first before we went in. 


Pizza? PIZZA



I haven't talked about this yet but Italian pizza tastes VERY GO-okay. The bread is very thick and is never crunchy, and there is not much tomato sauce. Ham is a big thing on pizza in Italy. Otherwise I'd say that a thin layer of the entire pizza is really the cheese and toppings. The rest is bread, so you taste more bread in Italian pizza. 



Here we go.



     They're two soldiers equipped with guns, showing its high security and how important this palace is. I obviously feel bad for them, but at least they were in the shade. Some soldiers don't even get to stand in the shade.

From the top you could really see the flower thingy.




A side view


Once we got inside, there were just a bunch of pillars and statues.

Well, except for this part



They're currently building an elevator. I'm gonna guess that it's only for officers because if tourists could go in there even for money, it would be packed.


Lots of stairs you go up, but the balconies give you some nice views. 


Some statues.

We then started this tour for the coliseum and other stuff!


In Rome, there were lots of underground cities, and once they realized the economically messed up and screwed up about every aspect, they ditched the city and somehow buried it underground, wanting to forget it. Well, some archaeologists/historians were digging because that's all they do and they found this yay.


No, this was not buried underground.



All those brick walls and stuff were buried underground I think.


]
Certainly all of that stuff was(not the blue stuff)


This is pretty cool.


This is how people back in the day lived. gee whiz











We started heading towards the coliseum now. :O









I'm pretty sure all of you guys knew that gladiators would fight sometimes to the even death in this arena. There were many fans, and it was basically like a basketball game. Sometimes the Roman leader would come and choose/watch people fight. Many times humans fought tigers/lions/elephants, animals they locked up in cages to bring their hunger, leading to a fiercer and more entertaining battle. Sometimes it was animals vs. animals, and sometimes they would even flood the arena to watch sea battles with alligators.

Man I visited the coliseum!!!!!

At that time, the heat was bothering my eczema, so I really didn't process the fact that I was going inside one of the seven wonders of the world!!!



Entrance.









My goodness.

I didn't really this much open ground lol.



Believe it or not this place was once MARBLE. ALL MARBLE.

The Colosseum right now is only the skeleton of MARBLE WTH

Those holes are the anchors of the marble slabs. Later on earthquakes and the fact that this guy is almost 2,000 years old is what broke it down. Those holes still existed in the old days though.


What the old Colosseum probably looked like, according to the tour guide.






Up there are SEATS. I believe this is where the rich people sat, looking at how spaced the seats are.



I do not understand why they did VIIII. The could've just done XIX xD. ROMAN NUMERALS






I forgot what they were building there.



These were potentially pathways for the gladiators.





It's just so cool man. People 2000 years ago built this.



I have no idea what this is. Potentially where they stored animals??







TIME TO GO UPSTAIRS.



Ok this looks too good now. https://youtu.be/ak1t9hjQT5I





I visited the Colosseum.







As soon as we got out the Colosseum, we were greeted with multiple men trying to sell us water and umbrellas. It was around 6:19 PM. We walked around for a while.









We walked around for more than an hour, fascinated by the streets and authenticity.

Then we went to a supermarket and bought breakfast for tomorrow since our hotel didn't serve breakfast.

I got this nutella thingy.




Lots of tall buildings with apartments above stores. Again, like China.





Lots of outdoor seating for dining along with sometimes musicians singing.



Hotel California...

At around 8 PM, my sister felt sick, so we started heading back to our hotel. We got a balcony so this view was pretty cool.





This was our elevator, with two doors and stuff. We also bought a watermelon at the supermarket, and I was bored so I picked out some black seeds by poking my finger in the plastic wrap and dragged them to make this:







This was our bathroom. Nothing that special except for that foot cleaner next to that toilet. Every single European hotel I went to had that.





We were next to Hotel California xD

It was 11:32 PM that time and there were still people dining.



DAY 5

   Today was the last day in Rome, and we would mostly morning taking a tour.

I woke up at 5 AM to watch game 6, and I watched the entire fourth quarter and here is what I gotta say.

  1. So glad the Warriors lost
  2. Jeremy Lin!
  3. Curry is the biggest clutch loser I've ever seen. 
  4. Leonard is praised although he didn't do much in this game. 

Anyway, I ate those nutella breadsticks and then went near a train station for a tour. We got there at around 7:40 AM, and we bought water to drink in the tour. 



While waiting for the tourguide to arrive, I noticed this homeless person. Barefeet, disabled, old. Terrible. Made my heart raw.



We were going to visit...

THE SISTINE CHAPEL.

I'll inform you about it later because The walk there was a beauty.



Here was the line for the Sistine Chapel. The line looked hecka long, but with it's constant movements it only took around seven minutes. There was a security check.





Alright, so the walk begins.





Man the hallway is long. There are lots of designs and paintings EVERYWHERE.

Here is the end around. A video I stole online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8WBLHTwT6U





The hallway is truly magnificent. The design, the structure, just everything about it. It's too good!

There's different maps and statues on the side and man it just really helps you understand what Romans were like. It's impossible to share the experience through words and pictures.





A heck ton of paintings on the roof. THEY WERE ACTUALLY PAINTED ON THE ROOF. Artists would stand on ladders and literally paint.




After that statue hallway comes another hallway with big paintings.


The hallway is known as the Vatican museums. It's a visitor route that leads to the Sistine Chapel, and held six million people in 2017, making it the fourth most visited art museum in the world behind the Louvre, Museum of China, and Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gzU2GDthgt4h5G2JA

Here's a painting of someone who is always staring at me...

That's how professional these paintings can get.







Throughout the entire walk I those blue headphones, with a tour guide explaining some pictures. A lot of them was a scene from the Bible or something.



Once we entered another hallway, there were a lot of maps and the top was illustrated with patterns and statues.





I'm just imagining how much work it took to put ALL of this together. the entire walk to the sistine chapel was more than 30 minutes, and it felt much longer than that.



I remember this to be an old map of Venice if I remember what the tour guide said.









Beautiful. Beautiful.











As we approached the end of the hallway, we were greeted with another one, with more paintings.











Finally, after 30 minutes of astonishment..

THE SISTINE CHAPEL.



No that is not the sistine chapel.


You weren't allowed to take pictures though. I stole some from google images.





Wow, the Sistine Chapel.


Currently, it's a place where the new pope is selected, but you guys know it for the ceiling.

Image result for sistine chapel ceiling

Many of you recognize that iconic painting of the creation of Adam, the first man.

The ceiling and parts of the walls were painted by Michelangelo and took him 4 years to paint, from 1508-1512. All those pictures on the ceiling is a story of God's creation and relationship of the world, starting from when light was separated from the dark. The ceiling was commissioned by Pope Julius II.



This part of the wall was also painted by Michelangelo, but 23 years later in 1535, and taking him six years to paint. It's titled The Last Judgement. Since Michelangelo drew numerous naked figures, he was accused of obscenity and immorality. The Fig-Leaf Campaign was a campaign to remove the painting.

The Last Judgement also received negativity from The Pope's master of Ceremonies Biagio da Cesena, who stated that "it was most disgraceful that in so sacred a place there should have been depicted all those nude figures, exposing themselves so shamefully, and that it was no work for a papal chapel but rather for the public baths and taverns."

ROASTED.



In around 1984, a project to restore the ceiling was put into place, and around 10 years later, the Sistine Chapel would be opened to the public.



Before and after restoration.


I spent around 35 minutes in it before we had to leave because of the tour. Inside was like a cube. It was packed, and there were benches but all of them were taken. At the front there was a stage where you could meet the priest. At one point the room became pretty loud so someone spoke through a microphone and reminded everyone about the rules.

I can proudly say that I saw the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. I saw the Creation of Adam





The walk outside.





https://photos.app.goo.gl/uoLq7TKpVvGQJD1r6





We then went to the Basilica di San Pietro or St. Peter's Basilica in English.

It's also like the biggest church in the entire world, but that's not really that cool. The second biggest church is three thousand square miles less, which totally isn't anything.

It's an Italian Renaissance Church.

Panorama showing the façade of St. Peter's at the centre with the arms of Bernini's colonnade sweeping out on either side. It is midday and tourists are walking and taking photographs.

Here is a panorama of St. Peter's Square, courtesy of Google Images. Very cool.

St. Peter's Basilica was built in 319 and finished in 333 AD, but a plan to rebuild it began at the end of the 15th century. A lot of money was spent into the reconstruction.








It's crazy.



It's crazy.








You see those letters? REGNI CAEIORVM+IV ES PETRVS

GUESS WHAT.

THAT'S SEVEN FEET TALL.

I didn't believe it until I saw a human above it.

















I don't know what event was going on later in the day.






It was 11 AM when we left, and after walking around for a while, we walked back to the hotel because my sister felt sick.


Roman train

We got KFC for lunch, which was kinda weird since we were in ROME.



While my sister slept, I looked at twitter and warriors memes. After two hours, my sister went to get lunch then quickly went back because it was extremely hot. 104 hot
I saw an ice cream shop on the way with some hecka nice flavors so I got an oreo one.





My sister slept for another two hours because she felt dizzy and hot.

We then went out at a cooler but still hot temperature and ate dinner at this korean BBQ place.







We then walked to a train station and took a train to a place called Piazza de Spagna which is Plaza of Spagna.



This is Spagna.



Basically no cars.



Those steps are famous because it connects a church and was built in 1721. There are 135 steps.

Ecuador xD


So crowded everywhere.



This fountain has some history. I'll just plagerize from wikipedia lol

"According to legend, as the River Tiber flooded in 1598, water carried a small boat into the Piazza di Spagna. When the water receded, a boat was deposited in the center of the square, and it was this event that inspired Bernini's creation.[1] The fountain is decorated with the papal coat of arms of the Barberini family as a reminder of Pope Urban VIII's ancestry."





Mcdonalds is respected in Europe, and is MUCH nicer. The food isn't any better, but there is a lot of seating. In European Mcdonalds people order from a screen and take their receipt to the cashier.







This looks like some tech company place.

My mom bought a 2 euro coffee which she concluded to not be worth it looking at the size and the bitter taste.







These two roads look the same but aren't the same.



Anyway, we didn't just go to Spagna for a look at a plaza...

We WENT THERE BECAUSE OF THIS:










This picture was taken at 9 PM.


This is known as the Trevi Fountain, which is even more beautiful when seen in the rare instances of darkness in Italy.

Panorama of Trevi fountain 2015.jpg

It's 86 ft high and 161 ft wide.

When it was first being built, a slight pause was put into place when the pope died. It was re-continued in the 1700s. The sad part is that the main architect Nicola Salvi died halfway through building the Trevi Fountain, so he never got to live to see the beauty.



Anyway, there were benches everywhere and we left after a really nice sight.






We then walked to another famous building called the Pantheon and along the way I saw this.





Google Images search is the real MVP.

This is the Sant'Ignazio church in rom. It's dedicated to Ignatius of Loyola who was the founder of Society of Jesus, which is also located in Rome.

It was finished in 1551



Interior dome.



Anyway, we continued our walk.



And after 15 minutes BANG.

HOLYYYYYYYYYYYY

This thing is massive.

It's located next to this.







You can use those humans as a reference point.


The Pantheon used to be a temple but is now a church. It is the "world's largest unreinforced concrete dome."



It's being preserved very well, and the Pantheon had no reconstruction or anything else. The Granite columns are still holding the Pantheon strong since 126 AD, and we've seen this type of style in many modern buildings. The Pantheon was burned in 110 AD but rebuilt.



"M[arcus] Agrippa L[ucii] f[ilius] co[n]s[ul] tertium fecit," meaning "Marcus Agrippa, son of Lucius, made [this building] when consul for the third time."

Wikipedia can decode those letters on the top.




There's a fountain near it.








You can even go inside during daytimes.




Nearby was this pretty cool store.



I ended up getting a strawberry slushie. My mom got pistachio and strawberry ice cream.












Usually when you finish drinking a slushie, you're left with ice filling a quarter of the cup, but in this slushie they actually put juice in it. It was the average 3 euros too.



The columns actually felt really bumpy, so that if you rammed your hand on it you could potentially see blood.











10:30 PM





We got back at the hotel at around 11 PM.

I wrote then slept.

Tomorrow we were going to start a seven day cruise.















Rome is truly incredible. Everything around you is probably hundreds of years old. It contains a lot of history and reminds us how strong the Roman empire once was.

There are so many tall and historic buildings everywhere you walk, and I just felt like I had to keep taking pictures. There's less smokers in Rome compared to Venice and Florence, and it had to be the best out of the three even considering the heat.

I love Rome. I really do.



















Well, that was long. This was only a third of the whole vacation. I was planning on writing my entire trip in one post, but realizing the length, I decided to cut it into three parts:


  1. Venice, Florence, Rome
  2. Cruise
  3. Barcelona, Madrid

I spent a lot of time researching, uploading, and writing but it was really fun to write. If you read all of this good for you! Leave a comment if you think something was wrong and I'll fix it!

Last but definitely not least, thank you mom and dad for working and earning money so I could visit Rome and a million other places. You guys are the real MVPs. Thank you to my sister for having this summer camp in Madrid so I could go on this vacation, and thank you to my like two readers. 

Thank you Venice, Florence, and Rome. Next up will be the cruise!


Lyric(s) of the Post: 
You know the Roman Empire's growing
Got to keep the conquered people from revolting

ANCIENT ROME song by Mr. Nicky





Comments

Post a Comment