3UROTRIP Part 2: Studying Abroad

Part 1 and Background: link


From LIT-131G Journal Entry #4:

Wilson Xie

LIT-141G

Gomez-Rivas

24 July 2024

Journal Entry 4

I went into this program a month ago not knowing any expectations, and I was very caught off guard in the beginning when I realized how excluded I was from the group. I was the youngest, just finishing my 1st-year while most of the group were just finishing 3rd-years or even 4th-years. I was also the only STEM major among the group and one of 2 Asian students. It was hard to find similarities as many of my classmates had different backgrounds and interests; I didn’t have any comfort zones, I was in a foreign country with a foreign household, living with a roommate that I’ve never met before. There were some moments where I was really scared and wondered what the next few weeks would look like. 

However, everything turned around, and I realized the true beauty of seeking discomfort. I follow a YouTube channel ‘Yes Theory’ where their whole brand and motto is about “seeking discomfort”, and it’s through this trip that I feel like I’ve fully understood the meaning of the phrase. “Seeking discomfort” is more than just going outside of your comfort zone, it’s putting yourself in tough situations and moments where you don’t know what to do or expect. “Seeking discomfort” for me came in a downhill spiral where you don’t have much to cling onto: no family nearby, no friends nearby, and oftentimes no one to really talk to when you need it the most. But “seeking discomfort” is also what builds character, “seeking discomfort” gives you strength, it gives you growth, and it makes you learn, which I’ve known to become so valuable. “Seeking discomfort” to me was those 2nd and 3rd weeks in Granada, where I really got to know my roommate Ian better; our interactions were less awkward, my Spanish was improving, and I realized that I have way more in common with my classmates than I originally thought. This social aspect and journey of the program was just as present as the palaces I visited, the thin corridors I walked, and the readings I indulged in. And that’s really the heart of “seeking discomfort”, being so multifaceted not just directly through the trip but also indirectly through my interactions with my classmates, friends, professors, guides, and homestay families. I’m so grateful for this journey during the program and all the friends I’ve made, and I’m so happy that I took this leap of faith signing up for this program, diving into a space of peers that I really have naturally little experience in, but a strong curiosity for. 

Throughout my 2.5 weeks in Spain and 1.5 weeks in Morocco, I had so many thoughts, observations, questions, and ideas. First, I realized just how happy of a country Spain was. Their siesta lifestyle with long nights sitting out drinking left a sense of worriless energy. It felt so relaxed in Spain walking around with everyone taking their time with their meals outside, whereas in America everyone seems so depressed and stressed, always competing against each other, working 9-5 every day, and burning out every day. In Spain there was such carefree energy, which could be attributed to a combination of a post-dictatorship society, their working culture and system, or even their less intense consumerism with the generally higher quality, less processed foods and produce that they ate. With Morocco there’s a similar sentiment in the cities I visited which were fairly developed, notably in Tangier and Tetouan it had the same kind of vibe. Our homestay in Tetouan brought us to the beach late at night and it was truly very relaxing just talking amongst ourselves, walking around, and enjoying the weather. This type of culture isn’t too common in America, and if it was it would be in a car, and it kind of really put everything into perspective and made me realize that there’s so much more to improve upon here. Second, in Morocco I found the gender roles and expectations to be quite pronounced. It was clear that traditional values still held significant sway, with women often dressed in more conservative attire and men typically taking on the public-facing roles, and these notions becoming more present in the more rural areas. This contrast was stark when compared to the more relaxed and equal footing seen in Spain, where gender dynamics seemed more progressive and fluid. It was really unsettling to see first-hand, as it wasn’t even this dramatic in the most rural areas I’ve visited in China. With the women being so reserved and holding in so much, I hope for continued progress towards a more open and equitable society where gender equality is embraced and women can freely express themselves without fear or societal pressure, though I do acknowledge that there are extents to this based off of the Quran. Lastly, another otherwise trivial takeaway I had was of just the rawness in hospitality among all the Moroccan friends and families I made. There’s such an overwhelmingly honest and humble way that they speak and it really made an impact on me, I still think about it a lot today. Whether it was their detachment towards sarcasm that I thought was really funny, or the way they listen to you speak and say “ahhhh!” when they hear you, it’s so comforting and soothing. I really had a wonderful time and impression of Morocco because of this among everything else.

Overall, this trip was amazing and it was sensational. To impossibly summarize this crazy insane trip broadly, the trips, tours, excursions, and meals we had were so authentic, and it’s impossible to achieve this without a program like this. I had a really fun time improving my Spanish drastically into my 3 weeks in Granada and learning how to read Arabic and getting better through my time in Morocco. There weren’t many hiccups for me, I didn’t lose anything like my wallet or passport which is always a concern for me, however I did lose my train ticket going to Rabat and had to push back the schedule an hour for everyone because of this. Through it all, Camilo, Borja, and Hanaa were just great human beings, tour guides, professors, and mentors. I can’t quite put it into words how well they shaped this trip and how fun all the activities, meals, and conversations were. Thank you so much. I hope to see everyone again in the future, whether it’s here in California, in Spain, or in Morocco again. 





Comments