Moving and renting a house (sophomore year)

So tomorrow I'm about to move into college and start my 2nd year at UCSC. It's a bit different because me and 2 other housemates are renting an off-campus house compared to last year where we lived in the dorms.

It's been a long journey to get here. After like no one got an on-campus apartment or dorm last year, literally i only know like 2 groups that got spots, everyone started scrambling to look for housing off-campus during May. Long story short it took hours and days spreadsheeting, scouting on zillow and apartments.com, housing tours, lots of communication and logistics, holding deposits, going to the bank, taking the bus to capitola to submit holding deposit, security deposits, more communication, applications, paperwork, etc etc, that we secured a house. Ideally honestly I wish we would've gotten the hilltop apartments cuz a lot of my other friends are going there but there wasn't any space left idk how it works. But there are plus sides to having like our own house to ourselves, like I really like the area we're in it's near the beach and it's super flat and nice I could go on runs by the bay. It's also more isolated from friends which means it's easier to lock in ? This house is like 15-20 min bus ride to campus btw.

Yeah so what else is there to talk about, I'm moving in tomorrow and we have to prepare buying furniture like the sofa and dining table and stuff which we realized that amazon has the cheapest options and a lot of them have free delivery too. I'm using my sister's old bed frame and mattress and desk which helps.

Anyway, this year will be so different from last year. I'll have to cook, be independent, and be far away from campus. I really don't know what to expect, I'm like envisioning myself eating chipotle like every week and using the ebikes a lot when im alone, other times having my friends with a car pick me up to go to hilltop and play poker or something. Also just taking the bus to downtown or costco and buying groceries a lot. I also think imma prep like 2 meals at a time, i can cook steak pretty well now and maybe put some vegetables in the air fryer. Also fried rice is easy, eggs is easy, and other than that I'll have to learn which will be fun. Imma def learn a lot and have fun i might need a cook book or some website idk but idk what else I can microwave some trader joes meals or grub hub. I'm also seeing myself being at the library a lot just like last year since I get so much work done there. Last year I would eat dinner a lot at mchenry library and get the avocado toast with chicken, but I don't have slug points anymore so I might need to buy some, I'm not sure what will happen, but its really convenient to eat dinner there. I can also cook with my housemates together too. 


ANyway idk why but I don't feel like writing anymore this was such a low effort blog post but imma just crank this one out cuz my sister told me i should write a blog post about moving in. I'm definitely like nervous and like I don't know what to expect, its a nice house after all it wont be bad but i feel like i may get depressed or something just cuz im paying so much money and going to the gym is so hard now and like all the conviences of living on campus are gone. I'm also just super stressed about ICPC, there's a lot of pressure and I feel like I'm not doing enough preparation and that like these next two months are going to be really really important. I literally need to lock in. Also just applying for internships and kinda being hopeless like idk if ill even get into any internships even though i literally deserve to. Definitely a growing up moment, it will definitely be fun, I'll be okay. I already want to join the blueprint club at ucsc I better get in bruh. Anyway yeah I DID NOT EXPECT the tone of this blog post to turn out like this lOL usually i start yapping like crazy but idk something about this post I just wrote it like this it's kinda low effort but very natural/genuine ig OK BYE i gotta pack and stuff for tmrw. 


Lyric(s) of the Post: 

"

I'm cool, I'm handling things
I'm wide awake having my dreams
Been through so many extremes
Been through so many that cling

"

Snakehips, EARTHGANG, SNAKEGANG, Sinéad Harnett - Been A Minute...


Comments