My Cubing Competition.....

My Cubing Competition.....

     On Sunday, I began my early birthday by joining a Rubik's cube competition in Berkeley. The events that I joined was skewb, 2x2, and 3x3. Now I had some pretty weird expectations vs. realities.

EXPECTATION
Something like 2013 world championship, but obviously smaller. I thought there were going to be round tables with people literally just trading and talking and making lots of friends.
REALITY
Stupid crowded chairs everywhere. The place was packed with people and we literally had to sit in dumb chairs the whole time. No tables. No nothing. No one traded cubes at all and I barely made any friends.

EXPECTATION
The cube shop was gonna be somewhat like a gift shop. Just a bunch of cubes on shelves and a pretty clean place. You could buy with credit card and like I said, just like a gift shop.
REALITY
Stupid little table with a few cubes. I asked if they had any 7x7s, and all they had was a stupid sheng shou. I figured I should buy that, but my dad got there late. Anyway, there was literally a guy there just using his computer. There were cubes EVERYWHERE on the table and people have already popped the cubes. I saw a completely exploded square-one, a SUPER loose gans that was obviously supposed to be a prank. The security was worse than the worse. I literally could've stolen a valk 3. I literally took it and practiced a few solves on it. The guy didn't even notice, and I'm pretty sure even if he saw, he wouldn't care. And I also need to mention something else. The guy literally didn't know what was what. I asked how much the valk is and he said twenty bucks. I asked how much a moyu tanglong was and he literally said "uh, I think its supposed to be ten". So obviously I saved money and bought that tang long, making that my new main. Literally just a messy mess on a messy table. Very unorganized.

    Anyway, lets get to the story. So I arrived there thinking I was going to get there really early. Seems like we went their early gave us good. We went to the wrong location. On the website, it said that the location was gonna be 145 dwinelle/alumnae hall. I found two locations weird. But I just looked for 145 dwinelle. I actually got there. And there was literally one guy in there. I asked, "Is there a cubing competition here?" The guy responded with "Um. I think there was one yesterday". So obviously the first location was supposed to be the location for Saturday. The second one I thought was gonna be correct. Lucky for me, I asked a stranger which I observed was Asian so I thought it would be better to ask her(lol) where alumnae hall was. She seemed pretty nice and actually led me to alumnae hall. Now my dad was on the road. Idk where he was. But I told him that it was alumnae hall through a phone. He told me he was going to drive there. And I got there. It seemed like I was after my friend which sucked. Good thing I didn't miss skewb though. 
    After I got there, the first thing I asked was "where's the cubing shop?" And the guy pointed to a corner. A corner WITH A STUPID LITTLE TABLE MESSED UP WITH OPENED CUBES AND WAS AS MESS AS A HECK. I MEAN SERIOUSLY. THIS IS NOT THE CUBE SHOP I EXPECTED. Anyway, I got there and pretended to act like it was a normal cube shop. The first think I asked when I approached the "shop"(y'know, ill just call it a stand from now on) was "are there any 7x7s?" Because that was something I was excited for. And then they guy said yes and handed me a 7x7. Now first look was coool. First turn: STUPID LITTLE. WHY DID YOU EVEN ORDER A SHENGSHOU YOU WONT EVEN GAIN ANY PROFIT YOU STUPID LITTLE #$%^$#$%^@. And then I set it down, but I still wanted to buy it, even though my dad was still on the way. LUCKY FOR ME A STUPID GUY BOUGHT IT BEFORE I COULD EVEN RESERVE IT. Anyway, I decided to wait on the stupid little packed chairs that I hated. It was sooo uncomfortable. But I decided to suck it up.
    Now when I got called up to skewb, the guy timing me asked if this was my first competition. I replied with a yes and the guy explained to me what I should do. Anyway, I missed the cutoff by one second D: and missed the cutoff again by three seconds on my second solve. Two DNF's=disqualification. I expected this to happen so I wasn't so surprised.
    After skewb, my dad came. he said that he would record me during 2x2. When I got called, I first got a 7.idk. I was pretty satisfied. Satisfied until the judge told me that I didn't press the timer with my fingertips. He let me take a redo, since it was my first competition. I ended up getting a 5.666 on my first solve, which was SICK. I got an easy first layer and an OLL skip. I ended up beating my friend which pissed him off. (PS my other times were 10,11,10, and a 7)
    I decided to leave with my dad to go eat lunch and then charge up the electric car, since I wouldn't be competing for two hours. I ate lunch at this pizza place which was mediocre. And then my dad dropped me off at the cubing competition so he could go charge his car. Seems like he faced a problem. He needed a card to scan it, and after driving around for a while, a guy was nice enough to scan it for him. He ended up picking me up at the end of the competition so he couldn't record my 3x3 times. 
    My 3x3 times I figured was a choke. Especially considering the fact that I just got a tanglong. I got tons of thirty second solves. But I think I averaged around 38-39 seconds. IDK

Lyrics of the Post:
Tripping lights. Paint the skies.

Culture code, karra-make me move.

Comments

Post a Comment