My experience in Berkeley Fall 2017 Cubing

My experience in Berkeley Fall 2017 Cubing

    On Sunday, I went over to Pauley Ballroom for a cubing competition. The first ideas when I reached the location was "OMG THIS PLACE ACTUALLY HAS WINDOWS?!!" And then I walked inside and sniffed: "HOLY COW THIS PLACE DOESN'T SMELL BAD", and then I looked over and saw how awesome the chairs were placed. I knew this competition was going to be way better than my last one.....


First of all, let's look at the comparison


Fall
  1. clean
  2. windows
  3. nice bathrooms
  4. awesome cubing store 
  5. great management
  6. smells nice
  7. lots of stations
Summer
  1. Dirty
  2. No windows
  3. Dirty and icky bathrooms
  4. Very poor managed cubing store. I could literally steal a cube from the store if I wanted
  5. Very bad management
  6. Smells absolutely disgusting
  7. Only a couple of stations making the waiting time very slow
    After those positive comments, I thought there couldn't be anymore. I saw a couple of people yell "CHRIS TRAN OMG" which made me confused. I recognized the name but not completely. I asked who he was and as they spoke the word "cubicle" I instantly remembered that he was the one to start the Cubicle Labs. I went over and my sister got a picture of me with him :). After, I went over to the people that were yelling "chris tran" and started talking to them. One of the kids was in seventh grade just like me. I looked over at one person's cubing collection that they brought and knew that he was an intense cuber. He had a MoYu 13x13, a GANS 249, and a Gans Air SM. I stared with awe at his 13x13 and asked if I could play with it. He was pretty nice and replied with "yes" and I ended up making the checkerboard pattern on a 13x13. It was pretty hard to align the layers correctly, and it was a pretty heavy cube. 
    After a while of talking, I saw them yell again. This time they yelled different words, "Max Park" to be precise. I obviously knew who Max Park was, and I was like HOLY MOLY WOW. I went over and wanted a picture. To be honest, Max Park looked kinda annoyed because I started a long line. During 3x3, I got to record Max Park and a 6.8 second solve. He ended up averaging 6.8 seconds which was CRAZY. Speaking of 3x3, my times were 23,27,28,30,34. I did worse than I thought. The first solve was a 30 and I knew I wasn't warmed up. During the gap, I practiced a little and on the second solve I got a free pair. That got me pretty excited and confident which made a 23 second solve. I don't exactly remember what the rest were like, but it was weird...
    2x2 had an improvement. It seems like I left my 2x2 at home, so I bought a FangShi 2x2 from the cube store which definitely replaced my main. I got a 6, 8,7,8,and 9. So I'd say I averaged around 8 seconds. The last comp I went to, I averaged 9.5 seconds. 
    5x5 was actually decent. My first solve was 4:10, and my second solve was 4:30. The cutoff was 2:00 so I only got to solve it twice. I really don't understand why the cutoff is so hard.
    3x3 OH was another event that I knew I wasn't going to make the cutoff. The cutoff was 30 seconds and my PB was only 50 seconds. The first solve, while I was solving, I accidentally touched the cube with my other hand which gave me a PB. With rage in my stomach I begun the second solve aggressive. I was feeling it. I ended up getting a 56 second solve which wasn't bad. I still couldn't get the fact that I DNF'd the first one off my chest.


    Overall, I loved the cubing competition. From my past experience, I knew I needed a time killer so I brought my 7x7. I solve it four times I'm pretty sure. I loved the way the people designed the cubing competition. The way they called people up is hard to explain, but let's just say it was a great way. Speaking of time killing, what would I do if I had five hours of free time? You'll see in the next post.


Lyrics of the Post:"I've been holding on for so long
I can't remember why The fire's gone, I'm all burnt out The embers have gone dry

Comments

Post a Comment