The story of a fine little rock

So basically in my science class we have to either write a story or draw a comic on this activity we did in class. I chose to write a story, obviously. we were supposed to write 500 words...i wrote 1700.





The Story of a Fine Little Rock


My life began in the volcano, where my mom had given me life and the name of John. The
ashy mountains were full of rocks like me. I often liked to eat, but my parents said that I ate
too much. I soon became a round and big rock. I was told to lose weight but didn’t find a
reason to. My dad would tell me to lift weights, but then again, I couldn’t find a reason to.
My parents had banned me from eating chips, but I soon found the stash my parents had
hid under a bed of rocks. Little by little, the stash was full of empty chip bags. My parents
spanked me that day, and from that day on I started to lift weights and exercise my abs
and cardio. I worked hard, even harder than my dad.
I was jump roping one day when I felt something lifting me up. I looked below myself and
could visualize a strong force of wind below me. I looked around, and saw that my family
was being lifted up too, just a bit faster than I was because I was overweight. The hole in
the steaming, cone-shaped mountain full of lava was also brimming with dust and ashes.
I saw a couple of rocks stuck in the hole, but more rocks rose and gave enough pressure to
expand the hole. I went up and saw it: the atmosphere. Gazing up to the sky with awe, I
pushed aside my thoughts about my death. I looked around and saw my family. Swinging
my legs wildly, I made my way over to my family.
“What’s happening, Dad?!” I cried loudly, eager to know what was happening.
“I have no idea, John,” he mumbled back.
It wasn’t long before other rocks, dust, and I were inside a cloud. Confused and scared,
I tucked myself under my dad’s jacket and sobbed. I didn’t know what happened to my
home, and assumed that no one else knew either. I sobbed and sobbed, until I felt myself drop.
As I shrieked in the air, my eyes felt like they were ripping apart, but I could still see what was
around me, and what I saw was a traumatizing view of drops of water all around me, falling
the same speed as me.
“MOM, DAD WHERE-” I screamed before hitting the ocean.
My next words faded away in the water. The water was at an unbelievable temperature,
somewhere below freezing. I had spent all my life in a warm and cozy volcano, so this
was beyond cold. Feeling chills, I shivered and felt a brain freeze. I was starting to lose my
breath when a force of water pushed me onto the shore of a beach.
“MOM, DAD WHERE ARE YOU?!” I croaked.
A breeze hit me which brought a shiver down my spine. The warm sand tinkling against
my back felt satisfying, but I couldn’t help but stop to wonder where my parents were.
“MOMMY, DADDY!!” I rose my voice after I screamed, “Mommy”.
There was no response. All I heard was the waves crashing against me. As I scanned my
surroundings, I realized that I had been pushed on top of the soil.
So much was going through my head: Where were my parents? How was I going to go back
home? How did this happen?
My body was hot and covered with sweat, and I still hadn’t caught my breath. I stayed in the
soil. lying down for a few minutes before I rose. Immediately, I felt my stomach cramps and
realized I was starving. I finally got to my feet and began walking around yelling, “MOMMY.”
Each time I yelled, my voice would get louder, but each time, I got a response of waves
crashing onto the shore, so I figured there was no use. Tears were streaming down my face.
I sat there watching the waves and thinking about where my parents could be. Suddenly, I was
shaking. My head was rocking back and forth at an unbelievable speed. My body was shaking
so fiercely that I only saw a blurry image of the sunset I was looking at. To minimize the
shaking, I pushed myself up, but I instantly fell face-down into the soil again, my eyes blinded
by brown specks. I screamed in agony until I felt the shaking end. I rubbed dirt off my eyes,
looked around, and screamed again. Suddenly, I noticed that I was in the Earth’s interior, and
that I had come here because of pressure. I was floating in magma.
I was sitting in the magma when I had Déjà-vu. I thought hard and realized that this was the
magma that was in my home, the volcano. It felt good to be in this warm bath after facing
near death in the ocean.
It hit me again. The thoughts. The thoughts about my parents. The concerns. I weeped again,
as those thoughts came to my mind. I kept crying and crying, thinking that I could do nothing
about the predicament I was in. One minute ago I was in my house, jump roping, and now I
was in Earth’s interior.
A familiar “whoosh” hit me and rose me up along with the magma. I closed my eyes as I
knew something terrifying was about to happen again. My eyes closed, I heard bubbling
magma. I felt as if I was riding a dangerous roller coaster, random forces of wind pushing
me up. Soon, I felt no more whooshing noises. I figured that the roller coaster was over. Gently
and slowly, I open my eyes. Looking around, I noticed that I was in my home again…
“Whatcha doin’ in my magma bath?  Get outta here!” a huge, fat rock snapped. His eyes
were pointing towards me.
“I-I just wanna find my m-mom,” I stammered fearfully.
“THEN GET OUTTA H-”
He rocketed out of the volcano. Magma shot out below me, and I felt myself rising.
“AHHH MOMMM!!!”
The words were blocked by the magma that was around me. Magma and rocks like me
sprayed out of the peak. I heard a series of “BOOMS” along with cries, and I suddenly
realized why. I felt a sharp pain by my side. Stars were above me and my sight was spinning.
I shut my eyes, and my head began to ache. Globs of magma were cooling around me. My
back was crystallizing. Pain spread everywhere in my body.
I wanted my life to end. I could not take this new type of pain, this next level of agony. I was
now floating in melted ice, and the pieces breaking off of me had turned the water muddy
brown. I was carried by the flow of the water, and I could tell that I was going down some
type of slope. I wanted it to all end here. I couldn’t take any more of this type of pain.
I flowed down into a stream, where the ice stopped breaking down. Although the pain was
over, my body still ached, and my tears still erupted out. I was hopeless. I was too weak to
do anything. I felt the looming disappointment as I put my head face-down into the water and
awaited death.
Instead, I was mixed with tiny particles of what my dad had told me were called “sediments”.
What my dad had told me. My dad told me. My dad.
The thoughts hit me like a pointy arrow piercing through my heart. Thoughts giving me more
pain. My head spun wildy and before I knew it, I had physically transformed.
I had never thought of becoming a sedimentary rock. I was on top of soil, a place I had been
before. Although I was safe, I wanted this terrifying, awful journey to come to an end. Maybe
I even wanted my life to come to an end. Whatever it was, I knew I couldn’t take it. The pain
was unbearable. I didn’t want myself to be in soil. I wanted to be in heaven.
Pressure. I felt the pressure again. The pressure caused my hands to tremble even more. As
my body shook painfully, I shrieked with agony and fell to the ground. The ground was
vibrating. Expecting more pain, I felt the pressure and vibrating come to an end. Finally, I felt
well. I was better than ever.
The thoughts about death were gone, but the thoughts about my parents were not. I was in the
same exact place as before -- in Earth’s interior, which could easily be identified. The only
thing different was that I was now a sedimentary rock, rather than a metamorphic rock. I sat up
feeling determined. Below me were tectonic plates. Above me was a mountain.
I looked below myself again and sensed movement. The tectonic plates were rising up. I
pushed against the tectonic plates with all my might as if they were my enemies. It reminded
me of the strength that my dad was forcing me to build up. I pushed harder, my face turning
blue. A realization hit me. “Why are you doing this?”I thought. I let go of the unnecessary force
I was trying to create. Plates hitting and pushing against me. Compared to the rest of the
misery I have gone through today, this felt like a breeze. I sat there floating in the lava.
Then the tectonic plates stopped shifting. They had pushed me to the snowy mountains once
again. I felt nothing but hunger and thirst. Even the thoughts and vivid imagery of a nice,
cheesy cheeseburger made my stomach growl. Desperately, I hit the snow face-down and
began to suck the snow, hoping to be hydrated. Suddenly, the snow liquified, and turned salty.
The water went inside my throat, and I shut my mouth closed. A giant tsunami swept me and
was carrying me with such great force. My lungs were burning, and my mind was racing.
Not too soon came a “CRASH” sound. Looking ahead of myself, I saw the shore.
I scooped the water and used all my might to give myself a big push, but I ended up going
backwards. I scooped the other way, but the result didn’t change. I was running out of air.
My hopelessness drained out when I felt a wave of water pushing me. I clung on to the shore,
and poked my head out of the water. Gasping for air, I limped to the soil.
Familiar voices left me frozen.
“JOHN!!”
“JOHN!!”
It was my mom and dad.



Lyric(s) of the Post: You see right through me
Divinity – Porter Robinson, Amy Millan


Comments

  1. O.o
    It's so long
    You used lot of depressing (but AWESOME) descriptions to really convey John's feelings and thoughts of utter desperation - I'm lovin' it. (dun dun dun dun dunnnn McDonalds)
    I especially like the last several paragraphs - great descriptions, which really help add on to the hopelessness John feels.

    And then
    there

    is a

    cliffhanger


    ending

    Which indeed is not a common ending to use in stories, but hey, this is a short story, so it's a good place to try new techniques. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I feel that using the name "John" is becoming your tradition
      cuz it is pretty versatile lol
      :)

      Delete
    2. OH LOL. I did that ending cuz it was like 10 o'clock and i needed to sleep. I decided to make the ending super short lol. oh yeah, idk why, but i always use the names john, joe, bob, bobby, and bill

      Delete

Post a Comment