SOmething


So in the summer, I will be teaching a "Rubik's cube club" at my mom's amazing afterschool.

Here's the agenda I made



    1. Big Kids: Teach them the basic and how to solve a side. As in basics I mean of how a corner piece is a corner piece and an edge is an edge. The pieces move around and will always stay together. That will help them get the concept of what a Rubik’s cube is doing while turning it. After doing this, I will teach them how to solve a side. The only difficulty they may have is when the colors are on the top, where you need a specific way to get it in the middle layers.
      Small Kids: Because teaching them how to solve a 2x2 will lead to comments like “How come the big kids get to solve the harder cubes” etc, I will be teaching them how to solve a skewb. A skewb is a fairly easy puzzle. I will go over the steps of solving a skewb and explain how to move it. I’ll let them fiddle around with the skewb, getting used to the feel and turn. This should take the entire hour.
    2. Big Kids: I’ll teach them the white cross and maybe a layer. I’ll teach them the daisy, which will apply skill from solving one side. After this, I’ll apply the concept of colors by noting that placing corner pieces in specific places will help get a layer done.
      Small Kids: I will begin solving the first layer. I’ll first teach them how to solve a side, however. I will emphasize starting in the middle, and working outwards to solve your first side. If time is left over, I will teach the first layer.
    3. Big Kids: After getting the first layer, I will begin teaching how to get edge pieces onto the second layer. This will definitely confuse kids, but deriving it the RedKB method and describe every move and what that will affect the look-ahead move will help clear the smudges up. If time left over, I will briefly explain how algorithms work, including notations.
      Small Kids: When teaching the first layer, I need to show them about putting pieces in specific places in order to get this done. After, I will show them the “down-down up-up” algorithm. I will teach them the use of the algorithm by demonstrating it on a solved cube. I will show them how the algorithm only affects one layer. Because this algorithm will be used in future steps, this will probably take the entire hour.
    4. Big Kids: This day is all about algorithms, basically OLL and PLL. I will describe what an algorithm does and will explain how deriving algorithms is fairly difficult. I will definitely print out an algorithm sheet, coloring each case. If 1 hour is not enough, I could definitely push it on to 5 & 6 as they get a bit more advanced.
      Small Kids: After the kids get an understanding of the “down-down up-up” algorithm, I will teach them how to apply it to the OLL of a skewb. Showing them what face to apply it on may cause some trouble, so I will explain this descriptively as I let them find patterns in the faces to apply it on.
    5. Big Kids: I will begin this day by leaving off any missing algorithms. Congratulating them for solving their first rubik’s cube, I will help them with improving their time. I’ll bring in a speedstacks, so they can record their times. I will jot them down and see how much they will improve. I’ll help them improve on their white cross, and more, additional OLL, PLL algorithms.
      Small Kids: Beginning this day with a quick check of the use of “down-down up-up,” I will teach them how to finish off the skewb by fixing the centers with a song I made up  “down-down up-up, rotate rotate, down-down up-up, rotate rotate.” If time is left, I will let them time themselves with the speedstacks I brought for the big kids
    6. Big Kids: This day will be more fun than others. I will bring in my mirror cubes, and give them a big challenge of applying their skills of solving a 3x3 to the mirror cube. “Aha” moments will occur quite a lot during this day, as they will progress on figuring out which step corresponds to which step from a mirror cube to a 3x3. If extra time left, I will let them have a second timed solve, and see how much they improved
      Small Kids: I want this day also to be more fun for the small kids. I will let them apply their skills for solving a skewb to the twisty skewb. Because this shapeshifts, this will easily confuse them. I will help them a lot, and tell them not to worry about parity. Parity can be fixed with an easy repeated two move algorithm, so this should be another algorithm that is easy to memorize.


Too lazy to put lyrics of the post

lol gonna schedule this so that it posts during school

Comments

  1. Big Kids and Small Kids
    wow you really mapped out the steps for solving cubes
    side, layer, second layer, algorithms, more algorithms, more cubes
    omg so many algorithms
    noice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment