Bay Area Speedcubin' 14

This was a short comp, and I really wish that it was longer. I had to go somewhere at 2, causing me to skip 3x3 OH.



When I first walked in the venue, it was a small place that was a senior center. :/ I was pretty bummed, but as soon as I walked in BANG.



THERE
WERE
TABLES


It's kind of sad how it takes five competitions to finally have on with tables, but DARN it feels good to have a table. REALLY GOOD.

The other thing about tables is that it forces you to make friends


Ok anyway, I sat down at a table with two Indian highscoolers and two white highschoolers.

BOB: Indian Kid #1
BOBBY: Indian kid #2

John: short kid
Joey: tall kid with glasses

bob and bobby are pretty good friends, and so are John and Joey.

The venue was really nice, mainly because of the tables. There were also a lot more stations, which made everything flow better.

I was in group 1 of 3x3, so I only got around 10 practice solves before I had to go.


SOLVE #1: Was really nervous and had a really long pause. got a 28, and that made me angry

SOLVE #2: I decided I needed to step up, so with the help of a free pair I got a 22.

SOLVE #3: I got a 24, with
this case, an algorithm I memorized legit two days before. I would probably gotten a 27 because the old alg I used was incredible slow, as it was a double sune with a rotation in between. 

SOLVE #4: I got a 25.9 or something. DOn't remember. I remember it being a really trash cross.

I actually slammed the cube on the timer, and it bounced onto my lap. The judge took a while to discuss with the people and to see if it was a +2 or something, but said just left me with a warning. 

SOLVE #5: I really wanted to get sub 20 again, but I failed as I managed to grab a 22 with tryhard mode.



After 3x3, I just grinded and waited for my mom to come back from like a Cafe or something. When she came back we went to taco bell(don't judge there were legit no other restaurants nearby and was a three minute walk) and I got a Dorito Loco taco with nacho fries. Man I completely forgot how good thsoe tacos were lol. I saw a lot of people from the comp, including Bob and Bobby.

When I came back, all the timers were taken, so I went back to my table to meet John and Joey. Joey told me that he won the braille competition(it's solving a cube blindfolded, with textured stickers so you can tell the colors). He got 5 minutes while second place, who was John, got 10 minutes. They got to keep their braille cubes, which was basically a QiYi that was like laminated with texture. It was hecka sharp.


I bought a Kylin for 10 bucks which was surprisingly cheap compared to the 40 dollar lubed weilong GTS2M. 

I took four 3x3s and began marathoning. I got lots of sub 1:45s. I was supposed to be practicing for 2x2 but I didn't bring my phone so I couldn't scramble(i hate handscrambling 2x2s)

While I was marathoning, legit Joey was like "you suck at 2x2" and "I annihilated you in the braille competition". John just shrugged it off until Joey was saying it at an excessive level, so he began to respond with "stop rubbing it in my face."

That didn't stop him, which led to John saying "CAN U SHUT UP"
It was pretty funny, and I was trying to not laugh so I used my 8x8 to block my mouth.

I got to say though Joey was a huge jerk. 

Anyway, after that, they decided to do Team BLD, and MAN THEY WERE GOOD. THEY WERE SUB 50. Me and naveen are sub 4 xD

It's mainly cuz both of them use the same algs and are fast of course. 



When group 4 of 2x2 finally was called, I started off at 6, then rose to 8 then 12 then 7 then 7 or something. I don't remember much.



And just like that right after I finished 2x2 I left, since I had to hurry to a basketball game. There was traffic along the way which intensified the situation.


Anyway, I really enjoyed this comp, mainly cuz there were tables. I mean, this was a bay area competition so what do you expect. 


I'm looking forward to Berkeley Spring, since Berkeley Winter was so late. They always procrastinate. 



Anyway, let's go over my goals

3x3:
Average: sub 25(achieved)
Single: sub 20(not achieved)
Main: Cubicle Valk Power M
Backup Main: Cubicle MGC

2x2:
Average: sub 8.5(achieved. I might have gotten sub 8)
Single: sub 6(not acheived, but pretty close)
Main: MGC 2x2
Backup Main: MoYu Weipo

So I messed up on my singles. :/


Lyric(s) of the Post: Dreaming with my eyes open
With You (Jai Wolf Remix) – Dirty South, FMLYBND

Comments

Post a Comment