TOP 5 ARTISTS, 2021!!!

 2018 version

It's been 3 years! Glad to see I still love EDM. Let's see how my taste evolved...


I just want to say I wish I could include everyone here:

Glacier, Grant, Ellis, Axol, Elephante, Tritonal, Daft Punk, Culture Code, Retrovision, Elektronomia, Porter Robinson, San Holo, Hyper Potions, Zedd, Halvorsen, Diamond Eyes, MDK

Those artists right there basically encompass my entire EDM taste. Outside of EDM is a whole different subject.

FULL OF TALENT. NCS has progressed a lot into glitch hop and progressive house ever since and Virtual Riot introduced me to the world of melodic dubstep. The complexity within straight growls and transformations in the drops, finalized by beautiful, powerful, fulfilling chords. There's so much creativity in melodic dubstep. 


Here are my top 5 favorite artists currently and the songs from them that I thoroughly enjoy. I offer more analysis as I get closer and closer to my favorite.

5. Stessie

Bloom

Atmosphere

Candy Heart - BLOOD CODE

Free - Jim Yosef

Stessie has a flavor in every of his songs that are so distinct Stessie. I can hear a song and tell you if it's Stessie or not. Stessie has managed to combine kawaii-step, electro-house, and components of literally dubstep into his songs. It's so hard to explain. They're upbeat and the melody has so many contrasting rhythms and pads. 

4. Hyleo

Smash (personal favorite, lots of nice melodic "swirls" + perfect mixing)

Trigger

Phantom Thief

I like to refer to Hyleo as "Smooth MDK." Love his scattered synth lines and his tracks are full with so many diverse melodies, synths, and slow-sections. You can just tell this guy has mastered his mixing and mastering. 

3. Teminite

Break Free (from unstoppable EP)

Unstoppable (from unstoppable EP)

Hold On (from unstoppable EP)

Believe (from unstoppable EP)

Spider (melodic dubstep)

Aspiration

State of Mind (electric guitar progression)

Plunder (dubstep)

Rise and Shine (upbeat + dubstep)

Space Invaders - MDK

Highscore - Panda Eyes (revolutionary track)

Monster - Chime & Psoganar (melodic riddim)

Teminite is a dubstep/melodic-dubstep EDM producer. What I like about him the most is his use of electric guitars. 70% of all the Teminite I listen to is based around the Unstoppable EP which features 4 insane tracks. All of them are full of emotion with different techniques, instruments, and sounds. There's various slow sections and synth breaks among all of the songs and you can just feel the emotion and growth of every individual track. Other than that, his most popular track Highscore is one of the most creative tracks I've ever heard of. Very sick melodies and bass, and you can just hear the Teminite influence. During the final break of Highscore, he chooses the main melody as a bass-line and chooses a new synth-lead melody as the counterline and this is just perfect for a final synth break to a melodic dubstep track. He employs this similar technique in Break Free which has grew to become my favorite Teminite track. Overall, Teminite is just so unique in how he produces melodic dubstep and the progression of his tracks. 

Teminite will release his pirate-themed dubstep/riddim album on 12-10 this week called "Raise the Black Flag."

2. Virtual Riot

Old Songs:

Most recent album Simulation released on 9/1/21




Virtual Riot is such a versatile artist. From his melodic dubstep fundamentals, sound design, vocal chops, synth pad usage, bass choices and design, to his authentic presets and samples. There's just so many favorite all across the timeline that I enjoy from Virtual Riot. That is really all I can say about Virtual Riot because if I go in-depth then this will literally be three paragraphs long. 

His new Simulation album contains deep exploration in colorbass and various dubstep rhythms and syncopations, along with new genres in his tracks "Exile" and "Get Away." His Still Kids EP featured really nice and upbeat melodic tunes that had great contrast in the verses and overall very settling melodies and instruments. His older songs are classic in how the traditional melodic dubstep operated and sounded. He is just such a versatile artist, I don't know how he is still doing it up-to-day.

1. Owl City

Popular:

Others:
There are so many more songs that I can list, but they are less enjoyable than those. All of those songs are just so full of rhythm and melody. 

Owl City is my favorite artist as he just holds so much sentimental value to me. "Good Time" with Carly Rae Jepsen and "When Can I See You Again?" fueled my childhood happiness in a way. I loved fireflies that I tried so hard to play it on my french horn. 

Other than that, there is Mobile Orchestra. My favorite album, and Owl City's centered electro-house track "Thunderstruck" has been my most played song for three years in a row. The synth pads, synth line, and various effects/samples throughout the synth break makes it such a creative and innovative masterpiece. It's electro-house but with the owl city melodic craft. The synth choices suit all of my taste and it's as if this song was made just for me. The contrasting vocals between Sarah Russell and Adam Young is so underrated and I love it so much. I cannot even explain everything I love about the track. The pacing is terrific, the vocals are TOP-TIER, and the melody is uplifting. I have no clue when Thunderstruck will step out of my #1 top-played song. 


Lyric(s) of the Post: 
I've never felt so wide awake
'Cause I'm wonder struck
I love how you take my breath away
I'm thunderstruck
To tell you the truth, I'm so afraid
That I'm out of luck
I love how you take my breath away
I'm thunderstruck












Comments

Post a Comment