First pen tapping performance reflection + studio version

 Yesterday, there was a collage concert at my school, where a segment of the concert is dedicated to small groups or solo acts of ensembles or etudes or whatever. We had flute trios, piano accompainment of trombone solos, voice solos, jazz gigs, saxaphone/clarinet ensembles, basson/oboe/piano group, ...and pentapping. 


This was my setup, I was going last so I had to watch a lot of performances before I went. Anyway, let's talk about what happened.

Here's what I performed: "hi-hat riddim" studio version. I was performing in a super big, open church, and the pentapping just wasn't as projected as it would be in a classroom or regular-sized room, which is perfect for pentapping. Either way, the mic helped, and it didn't really deteriorate my performance that much. 

However, what happened during the performance is that I nailed the beginning and everything, but at the end I was vibing so hard that I forgot to cut to the clap ending. I incorporated that new ending just the day of the concert, so I wasn't used to doing the clap ending. Either way, I forgot to play it, so what I did was I just relooped the final loop. 

Even after looping it again, I FORGOT TO DO IT AGAIN. At this point I was slightly panicking, and was focused on cutting to the claps. However, I dropped the pens. It was a blur, but somehow it dropped, and my mind was racing as I just picked it up and decided to create an improvised mini-ending, where I played half of the loop and cut to a variation of my clap-ending. 

Either way, it was disastrous. It wasn't as bad to the audience because they don't understand what happened with the extended ending, but I can't do that again. 

When I got back to my seat after performing, I was really mad. I just couldn't believe I played everything so well just to drop the pens at the end. I tried to not think about it but it's just impossible. However, the established jazz workshop that performed after me played september by earth wind and fire and that sincerely uplifted my mood. Especially one of the saxophone solos. That song was such a vibe and very well-needed. After that song I was genuinely happy and didn't care about the incident. I was just happy I performed my pentapping and made an established beat with movement. 

Lyric(s) of the Post: Give me all you've got
If you're prepared to break the silence
I'll be out in the sunshine
Running beside the lions


Comments

Post a Comment