SACCubing XIV recap!

This past weekend on Saturday I went to Sacramento for my second-ever SAC competition. Last time I went was in March 2022, https://cavs4tw.blogspot.com/2022/03/sac-cubing-xi-recap-first-place-in-skewb.html. I got my first ever podium and first ever gold medal. First comp after 2.5 years due to covid.

So the past competition, here are my results. I participated in 4 events. Here's how they went.


3x3

My first event of the day was 3x3, it was pretty solid. 

I got a new offical average PB. Fairly consistent.

But then here was 2nd round....


Okay so first of all... I started things off with a 10.01 SINGLE LIKE WHAT?? IM REALLY HAPPY, BUT HOW IS IT THAT CLOSE TO A SUB-10. It's so like ironic and poetic and it feels so fake to just get a 10.01 like that. I'll take it tho... but like... really???

So I started the average with that BOMB. My previous best official single was 10.66.

So then I follow that up with a 14 sec, I was really nervous for absolutely no reason, but I clutched up with two 12s. That means that this average had REALLY GOOD POTENTIAL. I could've gotten a low-11 average of 5, or just a sub-12 ave5 if my 5th solve was like below 11.5 or something. But I choked with my worst solve of the average. That was pretty crushing, the average had TONS of potential.

So... I choked sub-10 single, AND I sold the average on the last solve. 

:(


2x2

So then next up I had like an hour before 2x2, and I hvaen't practiced 2x2 for like 2 months or something so I forgot all my ortega algs. I frantically tried to re-remember all of them during this time. It was pretty scuffed, and yea i wasn't prepared.


I shoudl def learn more 2x2, it's pretty fun. But anyway I got a new PB official single of 4.45 which really isn't that hard to beat lmao. It was a pretty scuffed average, some algs I didn't know so it was like a roulette of which case I got. You can tell that in the 4th solve, I got a case that I forgot, and tried to execute an algorithm that I didn't remember. :(

But either way, I didn't put the work into it, and this is what I got out of it. I'm not unhappy, and I don't care about this event. but yea

Lunch

So after this was lunch. I was having pretty bad allergies so my mom and I went to a mall to walk around and stuff. But before that we stopped by this place that was so horrible. Oh my god that was horrible. I didn't even take a photo to show here because I DO NOT WANT THAT MONSTER IN MY CAMERA ROLL. So I was just looking at places to eat lunch on google maps, and I saw this place called "weiner snchitzel" or however you spell it. It's that german stuff, and the reviews were pretty good, I vividly remember reading a review that was like "great eat! My daughter and I love going to this place as it's also very inexpensive!" So then I was like yea, whats the worst that could happen.

And then worst happened lmao. First of all that place was so fast food, it was like basically mcdonalds, jsut like peering at the back and all those random machines and the workers and just the store design was so fast food. Second, I ordered a chilli dog and chilli fries and that stuff was absolute DOGSH*T. I remember opening up my chilli dog and almost crying. I legit ate the entire thing because I didn't want to waste money/food, but looking back on it, I did myself a disservice by ingesting that block of processed junk. That stuff was so bad I can't stress it enough that stuff was so bad. Oh my god. The fact that I'm writing more aobut this chilli dog than my 10.01 3x3 letdown shoudl speak VOLUMES to how passionate I am about how dogsh*t that food was. Please don't ever go to that place holy cow. There's a reason why I didn't go into detail about exactly why that food was bad, but instead outlined my reaction and trauma experiencing that abomination.

But anyway we went to a mall after that, i forgot the mall name and im too lazy to like find it, but it was pretty cool.


7x7

So my plan was to ask the Paul Mahvi guy for his 7x7, like I did in Cal Poly. I was pretty close to making it to the 10 minute cutoff in the cal poly SLO competition, so i wanted to try it again, but now with experience under my belt. 

But I couldn't find Paul Mahvi, so I went around asking kids for their 7x7s. The 5th kid I asked, he gave me one. But it was kinda loose so like I popped it and I forgot how to do last 2 centers and basically I couldn't solve the cube in time before the actual event started, cuz i have to submit a solved cube for them to scramble it lmao. So i ended up just giving up because i prob didnt have a chance anyway. Next time i sign up for 7x7, im gonna buy a good 7x7 with all the gift card money I have and actually practice for the event. I want a 7x7 time on my profile.

Skewb

And the last event I was competing in the day... was skewb. wooooo. My main event.

I didn't really have much competition, only that songju korean kid, i forgot how to spell his name lmao. But yea i was first on the "psych sheet," a feature i only recently discovered. That stuff is cool. Anyway, yeah, I was ready to lock in.


It was definitely pretty stressful, especially with that songju kid going up and comparing times with him as our averages were going. THe first 2 scrambles were pretty easy, I got the EXACT same time which was pretty funny. The third scramble was some long NS case that I really wasn't prepared for. The fourth solve I +2d which was sad and put me in a position where I NEEDED to do good, otherwise I would have a counting 5.40 in my average. SO that +2 was pretty sad, but I could still recover the average... and that's what I did.

That fifth solve was PRETTY stressful, but like the crazy thing is that my brain just turned off and because ive done thousands of solves at home, its just like a natural instinct for me to recognize a pattern on the skewb and before you know it I'm just programmed to do the algorithm. I don't even think about it. That's such a big plus side of doing tens of thousands of solves at home, I can just rely on my like autopilot to do everything. It's a very weird effect to describe. I just instantly recognized the NS. That's really how greatness manifests itself. It's not that I'm a clutch performer, but I've practiced so much that that's really the only choice I have...



So that's how I won skewb again. My 5th gold medal... pretty crazy. SAC, mill valley, BASC, Berkeley, and now another SAC.

If I didn't +2 the 4th solve (which i normally don't +2 on that NS alg), my average would've been 3.45 which would've been a PB official average. That kinda sucks to think about, but I will NEVER complain if I finish gold. 

Conclusion

So yeah, there's my SACCubing recap! I entered a nice stretch of writers block lmao, especially when talking about that chilli dog. Wow i hate that thing so much. 


Lyric(s) of the Post:




Comments