February 2024 new EDM!

  

Welcome to the February installment of new EDM. I actually listened to like every song released this month and wrote out reviews for all of them which took up a lot of time. I won't be doing this for next month as it would also make these posts more concise and breathable I presume. 

But anyway, there's always new music coming out it's actually pretty crazy, it's lowkey hard to keep up with sometimes. This month we got some Beyonce, Dua Lipa, Selena Gomez, SZA in the pop scene, along with new Grant, NOTD, Fox Stephenson, Madeon, Owl City, and Eliminate's album. Also worth noting is as I wrap up this blog post here on March 1st, we've just found out that Porter has finished his 3rd album which is so soon for his standards as he released Nurture in 2021. This pink theme reminds me of a lighthearted hyperpop type vibe, I'm VERY EXCITED for this new album, Porter hasn't released new music in a while.

Albums and EPs

1/25 = new grey EP

 - Lots to talk about here. An EP of 4 tracks of which I already listened to the one with the Virtual Riot collab of course.

 - First track, "IDK" is very almost 'dystopian' with some very incomprehensive vocal samples, but the drops hit rly hard and the transitions using those vocal samples add a very unsettling effect to the track. I will say I love the snares in this song and the snare fills, they really add a lot of character to me. Love the breakdowns here, but something about the drops feels repetitive and a bit mainstream, it might be the vocal sample spamming. Ok with this closing it sounds like some Indian bollywood type stuff lol. Adding this to my rotation, tho it prob wont be here for too long. Good song tho

 - Second track, "CONTRA" has some more bollywood lyrics or something, its prob that language like hndhi telugu tamil stuff. Idk what the context of the album is but it adds a very unique atmospehre to this EP. Alright, first drop is coming in and WOW it's almost like some break-beat trance type stuff midtempo type stuff. THis is some really solid stuff, it fits the vibe. I'm liking this track a lot more than "IDK" so far. Alright and they even extend this first drop, opting to not go into the midsection too soon. OK AND IN THIS MIDSECTION IS A KEY CHANGE WOW THATS REALLY NICE MAN. HOLY COW I JUST FEEL LIKE I TRANSCENDED OMG. Second drop is pretty good, passable. Wow ok with this second track I'm actually taking "IDK" off my rotation and adding "CONTRA" just cuz I realized that "IDK" is in hindsight prob not that good of a track and I won't enjoy it that much

 - Third track, "RAVEN" I've listened to for a while, it's been in my rotation for months now and it still is. Great track, Virtual Riot rarely misses unless it's some screechy stuff. Prob the best song of the EP if I were to say. Yeah this track is really good. Those octave leaps are so Virtual Riot applied haha.

 - Fourth track, "7-DS" seems more low-key. Now this is a single but I somehow never listened to it before so this is my first time. The mood sounds very desperate, world-is-ending type vibe with the lyrics too. AND WOW THIS FIRST DROP IS VERY CLEAN. This whole EP all has some insane first-drops that really get my attention. And they don't extend off it and opt for the second verse. Vocals are alright to me. This second drop is very similar and pretty much the same as the first drop. I'm adding this track to my rotation. Wow this is a very short song lol it's 2:30 and it did pass by very fast.

 - SO 3/4 of the tracks made it to my rotation. And the 1/4 that didn't is a pretty solid track. The EP has some really clean heavy intense drops. I also got a sense that this EP was honestly kind of sad, lost, world-is-ending type of tone to it with all of the synths, chords, melodies, and lyrics. 

2/16 = World Away (remixes) - Dabin, Trella

 - A great track here coming out with a set of 4 remixes. All 4 weren't that good. There was some glitch hop and trance and riddim, dubstep or something but none of them really replicate the emotions and rawness of the original. My favorite remix was maybe the Nikita, the wicked remix as the drop was super unique and I loved the vocal chops and synth pads. Yetep's remix was okay too especially the reversal fills. I had expectations for Darby's remix but idk it was kinda bad and his glitch hop didn't fit the vocals. I do like Darby though and thought it was cool to see him remix this song. So yes, all of these songs were pretty much mid.

TRASH

2/1 = Can't Get You Out Of My Head (with Isaac Palmer, AINA) - A pretty bad song with bad buildups and bad drops. Bad remake, idk this like hardstyle trance stuff is but yeah dont like this.

2/2 = STARBURST - Synthion - Trash song I listened to it a while ago and forgot to add it here and im def not listening to this song again cuz i remember i didnt like it. Synthion is a good artist tho this guy just been releasing a buncha random stuff lately

MID

1/30 = Nokae x KORA - DEITY [CHOMPO] - I've been a big fan of Tokyo Machine's label CHOMPO. Seeing Nokae here is pretty exciting as he has some nice tracks, I remember him as kinda future bass producer that doens't use many vocals. Anyway, this track is very hard-hitting with some mediocre transitions I will say. Ok and then second verse there's some vocals that are very clean, fitting. Now I'm listening to the second drop, the buildup is very intense. And... A fakeout... And solid same synth line. Ok, with this second drop in the books, I can conclude taht this song won't be going in my rotation. I just don't like the drop that much for me and the transitions put the nail in the coffin for me. It's a neat song though. 

1/31 = Wooli & Kompany - Thicc Boi Mega VIP - Many triplet breakdowns in the first drop, overall its some rly great and unboring dubstep. And then midsection is small asf as it just transitions right into second drop. Overall it's some cool dubstep but there's not any melodic lines or stabs that stand out to me. The drum patterns are cool and I don't have any issue with this track. Not going in my rotation.

2/2 = To The Stars - AIKA, Hatsune Miku - Some mid anime melodies and stuff idk what this is supposed to be. THere's some alright synth pads in here and moments tho but yeah as a whole it's definitely mid. 

2/9 = San Holo - GLOW (feat. Au/Ra) [Official Music Video] - Coming off of a rather mid album in 2023 here he is with a rather mid song. I just don't like the drop at all. The melody isn't good and it's just kinda bland to me. And unfortunately that melody takes up like 70% of the entire 2:37 song so yeah it's mid.

2/9 = RETROVISION x MO FALK - HANDS UP - Retrovision's first drop on his brand new label "More bass more good" and this one has a pretty generic melody and first drop tbh. I wasn't liking it until I heard the midsection which is honestly pretty fire and kinda redeems the entire track. That whole midsection is really clean. However, as a whole, this song is still kinda mid. Retrovision pumps out a ton of songs and only some select few of them are great. This one is just the majority of like fairly generic songs.

2/14 = Said The Sky & good problem - Till I Met You [Official Lyric Video] - Here we have Said The Sky with not a bad track here. That second verse kicked off pretty well, I like the upbeat energy. With that being said I hvae to placed this song in mid category because the rock-edm drop just isn't it for me. I wouldn't say this is a bad song, it's just not for me, i don't feel any motion from the drops.

2/14 = Hypnosis - Ace Aura, Whales - Ace Aura who I know as a solid trance/dubstep producer that uniquely incorporates marimbas into drops teams up with Whales, who is versatile dubstep producer. Unfortunately, this collab didn't hit home for me, I def see some potential in the drops but they don't hit right for me. Prob cuz there's not enough melodic lines or the melodic lines are bland. 

2/14 = Shiver - John Summit, Hayla - John Summit is a big EDM producer and here I liked the second drop here but other than that it's kidna mid just all around. Vocals are mid too. 

2/15 = On Forever - Flux Pavilion, Escision, Saint Raymond - I'm ngl this song prob gets better the more u listen to it but I don't like it and there's not much to talk about it. Cool layering but the vocals are just pretty bad.

2/16 = One, Two, & 3 - Galantis - Some standard commercial house from Galantis here at a slower pace. I don't have many problems with it, I like the bass, but it's fairly forgettable and very mid. 

2/16 = LAST OF US (feat. Rita Ora) - Gryffin, Rita Ora - Vocals and verse is mid asf. And the drop is so bad. It's just so generic it feels like they just copy pasted some random stuff. The whole structure and vocals are so copypasted too.

2/16 = Martin Garrix & Third ≡ Party - Carry You (feat. Oaks & Declan J Donovan) [Official Video] - I like the synth theme in this song and leads. This drop is really mid too. So what an amazing way to top out a big 3 mid-fest of Galantis, Gryffin, and Martin Garrix here. All these big artists are just having the most generic vocals and drops ever. 

2/17 = Diamond Eyes - SINNER (Official Music Video) - Diamond Eyes second release of the year with some nice notions in it.

2/22 = Fox Stevenson - Lemonade (Official Audio) - Fox Stephenson has some nice melodic vocal EDM almost pop-like. Anyway this is exciting to see as I expect it to be like some summer feel-good tune with the name and cover art. However, the atmosphere and melody is a bit darker than I expected. The verse is so monotone it's almost like he's just talking in the mic and not even singing. Underwhelming track here unfortunately.

GREAT

2/1 = No Mana & SOFI - Digital Friends [Monstercat Release] - An incredibly unique track with so much to talk about. I've never heard a track like this, especially with something so strong and bold from the get go. So many digital synths everywhere and weird effects and just the whole structure, phrasing, melodies are just so unique and contribute to an entire track that feels so scattered yet kind of together too. I don't know what genre to call this, its a very happy song. In one sense it actually feels very commercial too. Anyway I enjoy the vocals and panning in the drops and also the drops itself. I'm not adding this song to my rotation yet as I still have some questions. 

2/1 = Hold On - Snavs - Quite uneventful verses with a nice breakdown in that second verse. But the main attention goes to those drops, with an incredible synth pattern and glitchy rhythm that really hits home. Reminds me of some papa khan type stuff, feeling like raindrops. I really liked the mixing and the synths everywhere in this track, will be in my rotation, though I anticipate not for too long tho.

2/14 = On The Edge - Rome in Silver - Rome in Silver with some neat spacey instrumentals here. I kinda like the beat and samples and this is def mid. It gets better as you listen to it too.

2/15 = Dua Lipa - Training Season (Official Music Video) - Don't know the context of this song (besides being 2nd single for upcoming album) but I like dua lipa. This song is very unique and lyrical with some unique melodies and instrumentation. It's not bad I added it to my pop playlist but it's not anything special.

2/16 = Who's Laughing Now - WHIPPED CREAM, Fourfive - Very unique song here that sounds like if Travis Scott collabed with Monstercat. The drops and entrances are very grand with some flashy synths and rapping. It definitely hits, but I will say that the vocals may probably get annoyingly repetitive the more you listen to it. That's why this isn't in the 'fire' category. That vocal just gets annoying to me as it encompasses like 60% of the song which is too much. 

2/16 = GhostDragon - Say You're Mine (Lyrics) ft. Jaime Deraz & Kevin Chung - Lots of good stuff in this track: generic drop but nice vocal chops, great vocal contrasts, countermelodies, bridge. This is close to being a good track that makes my rotation but it's just kind of generic and forgettable through it all.

2/22 = Selena Gomez - Love On (Official Music Video) - Here we have Selena Gomez with a new single. Notably I love the prechorus, and how it's highlighted. In fact, the whole second verse jsut feels like a transition just to rush to the prechorus again, to me. Other than that it's kinda mid, i like the bassline in the chorus, but i feel like another vocalist could've hit this song better, someone like camila cabello hailee steinfeld idk. She also rhymed car with bar LOL which taylor swift does a lot. There also isn't a bridge in this song which is alright cuz it's just some short catchy commercial pop song but that's a minus for me. 

2/22 = Saturn - SZA - Apparently this is like a surprise drop or something but yeah this song has some really soothing instrumentals. I can't quite follow along with the vocals and melody though, a lot of SZA songs to me feel like they lack structure, so I can't say I'm her biggest fan. However I needa do a discog dive of her one day cuz she has some great stuff and i love her voice.

2/23 = Marshmello & Space Laces - Conquer - Great track after some recent mid releases this year. I didn't even put his previous releases with SVDDEN DEATH collab cuz they were just so mid. This one is some solid dubstep riddim with some great flow to it. It's hard to execute great riddim like this with the wall of sound and noise but man it's pretty heat, just a bit repetitive to me. The midsections and verses are so clean to with the layering and the beat. Good track here.

2/23 = Martin Garrix & Mesto - Breakaway (feat. WILHELM) - Great synths here by Garrix. This type of bass house isnt for me tho but this is not a bad song as the melody and drop is just too dystopian.

2/28 = Half an Orange, Andrew Spellman - Be With You [GWAVA] - Chill, pleasant track here with nothing to complain about but also not much that strikes to me.

2/29 = Reckless - Teminite - Teminite's release of this month comes on the very last day on a day that normally wouldn't even exist in February. This track is another racing-themed song. Some very unique drops here and great bass fills, but the sample that repeats throughout the entire song just isn't melodic enough, it's that simple. It's a nice sample at first but the spamming is too much for me. Teminite usually makes some fire tracks but his first 2 tracks of 2024 haven't been on the caliber yet.

FIRE

2/1 = Wavedash & Madeon - All Ur Luv (feat. Toro y Moi) (Official Audio) - This is so annoying cuz I deleted my review of this somehow and liek I can't get it back even with ctrl+z. But this song is really solid, it's feel-good energetic bop pick-me-up singalong. At its core there's nothing wrong with this song and I really do love it. However, I wish they expanded on some of the transitions and added a bridge. There could've been more done with this song. However, I do love how the second verse is executed especially with Madeon's vocals killing the verse and the prechorus drop. SO yes probably Madeon's only song of this year and it will be in my rotation for a while.

2/8 = Boston - Owl City - A single from Owl City this year that I wasn't expecting but it has been a while since he released Coco Moon I guess. Great personal authentic storytelling and progression here, it's just very hard to miss when you start off a track with such deep bouncy nostalgic soothing synths like Owl City does here, it's just his signature synth at this point tbh. I can talk a lot about this song but it's just so good I have a lot of other songs to get through so yeah.

2/8 = Blanke & Grant - Heavy Heart (feat. your friend polly) [Monstercat Release] - New Grant song here and it's him on a collab with Blanke for an upcoming EP of Blanke. This song is really good as Grant has super high standards for me. Like he doesn't release that often but it's some high quality stuff and this drop is just amazing man. The vocals and verse are so good but the drop is so good it gets better on every listen. And the second drop that I should've expected but somehow didn't expect with the fakeout man. Amazing song, I think it might be the best song of this month. It also just has a very dreamy almost dystopian atmosphere to the verses and vocals. Love this song man the drops are just so killer and melodic.

2/15 = NOTD, Georgia Ku - Nostalgia (Lyric Video) - This song and this hook is FIRE. When I heard the teaser I knew this would go in my rotation instantly. NOTD is lowkey turning into a bizarrap to me, as they just release singles and collabs with vocalists. I would say NOTD isn't quite innovative though, just makes some nice electropop with great hooks, great verses, and very satisfying drops. This song is also just a vibe to sing along to and just so happy.

2/16 = DVRKCLOUD & Vaance - Forever Now feat. Ines Rae (Lyrics) - THIS SONG IS FIRE. Those little break sections in the drop are SO GOOD. Vaance makes some really fire melodic house and here his influence is so great. The verse is amazing too, this verse could've easily been bland but I like the progression. This song is genuinely so fire man those breaksections got me smiling like crazy I LOVE IT.

2/20 = Chime & KERO - Liquid Data [Colour Bass] - Chime has been pumping out so much music lately and this collab is so great. I'm a big fan of KERO as he just has this type of swirling color bass sound that's so niche to him. And you can hear the influence in this. Upon first listen I first noticed that HOCKEY PUCK SNARE which is just so great. I love innovative and out of place snares that kind of add character to the osng, and this is just amazing. Pluck snares, hockey puck snares, beep snares, click snares, ANYTHING. These drops are so great too it's just so refreshing. These drops are so great with the variations and soloing and everything.

Didn't Listen To.

  • 2/2 = Get Off The Internet - Eliminate
    • First album from Eliminate, his debut album. I haven't followed him too closely but he has some good tracks that have made their marks in my playlists. I've heard from Bowtied media that there's a lot of hyperpop type stuff so that's exciting. Haven't listened to yet
  • 2/9 = VULTURES 1 - Kanye West, Ty Dolla $ign
    • I listened to some songs in this album, it's alright, but I'm not a big rap fan in general. I did like "FUK U MEAN" though that track is admittedly pretty catchy with the bass and travis.
  • 2/16 = TESSERACT - Subtronics
    • Too many songs in this record, but I did listen to a couple and I didn't enjoy them, prob too gritty experimental or something.
  • 2/23 = INSANO (NITRO MEGA) - Kid Cudi
    • Don't listen to him but he's big

Conclusions

Here's the combined 2024 Top 5 ranking as of the end of January in my January post:
  1. YOUNG MIKO || BZRP Music Sessions #58 [Jan]
  2. DVRKCLOUD & Vaance - Forever Now feat. Ines Rae (Lyrics) [Feb]
  3. Chime & KERO - Liquid Data [Colour Bass] [Feb]
  4. Blanke & Grant - Heavy Heart (feat. your friend polly) [Monstercat Release] [Feb
  5. Wavedash & Madeon - All Ur Luv (feat. Toro y Moi) (Official Audio) [Feb]
As you can see BZRP stands on top but that was legit the only incredible release of January. February really brought out the true potential of EDM. 

And aside from that I'll see you next time in March! To give a quick preview off the top of my head, I think we got new Paper Skies maybe, new Ariana Grande, new Shakira (which I am looking forward to), new Owl City single (that already came out on 3/1 as I write this), and prob some Skybreak or something idk. Next month I won't be giving my thoughts for every song as it's quite time consuming but I think it will come off better that way too like I said earlier. 

Lyric(s) of the Post: 
"
You build me up,
Forever Now.
"

Comments