Berkeley Summer 2018


What a great competition!





Goals and mains
my WCA profile
The event



This competition was in the same venue as my last one.

So basically for the competition, I was doing 4x4, which was the earliest event, so I had to wake up at 6:30. Seems like BART doesn't start until 8, so we had to drive there.

When we got there, there was barely anyone, but I saw Eric(Dennis' Brother) so I decided to sit next to him.

I did 4x4, then 3x3 OH.

I only got to do two solves on both events, because I couldn't make cutoff, so I was already feeling kinda bad.

While 3x3 OH, the guy was like "we need more judges, anyone feel free to volunteer" so then I was like okay I'll try it out.

When I asked "how do you judge" he COMPLETELy ignored me and just told me to sit at this station. I decided to try without any instructions. There was a stopwatch, a timer, and some stuf.f I think I know how to do htis.

The first guy comes over and he FRIGIN +2S OMG.

So how you're supposed to write plus to is.

5.194+2=7.194

But on CStimer it does something else, so I wrote something like this:

+7.194

And then the competitor told me that that wasn't how you wrote it, so then I had to cross it out in pen, and I was literally feeling so stressed cuz I had no idea how to judge, I only knew some stufff because I've watched people judge before.

And then after a couple of solves, I did decent. I knew to say "ready when you are" when the person comes and to hand the box over and to do all that stuff.



Next was skewb, and I made cutoff which was cool. And I did decent.

Since I wasn't doing 6x6 or pyraminx, I decided to have lunch early.

We went to silver a GREAT pizza place omggg.


And when we came back, it was the time for legit lunch, so yeah. I got to play with the timers at least.

And the guy sitting next to me had y'know some issues. like he was just really weird and stuff. But what I found was that these autistic people were so happy. They would solve their cubes and just be so happy! Max Park makes a living off of cubing, and has more than 10 world records. He has autism. It just warms my heart when these people are happy. He was so happy!

Anyway, I was in like the last heat for 3x3, so I decided to judge a lot of stuff. I was SO close to judging Max Park. The guy next to me was judging him darn.


OH yeah I forgot to say that Max Park was in this competition.


Then wehn it came my heat, I was so streeesssssseeeeed.

BUT I WAS SO DARN HAPPY WHEN I GOT SUB 20 OMG.


MY goal was to get a sub 20 single.

I got a 19.98

I was so lucky lol.


and I also got my goal of having a sub 25 average.

I got a 22, 26, 24, 19, and 29


I judged in 2x2 too, and I'd say I did okay in 2x2.

7, 10, 9, 10, 8
were my times.

And then later on, Max Park literally came over to me and was like "Woah is that a magnetic dice cube"

I was literally frozen. WTHHHHHHHHHHH

I somehow let out "yes"

And then he started moving my magnetic dice cube and playing with it and he said thanks afterwards.

But that was honestly awesome.


Let's compare our goals.



GOALS

GOALS
2x2:
Single: sub 6
Average: sub 10

3x3:
Single: sub 20
Average: sub 25

4x4:
Single: Make cutoff
Average: No way I can get an average. DNF

5x5:
Single: sub 4:30
Average: DNF

Skewb:
Single: sub 10
Average: sub 16

3x3 OH:
Single: sub 1 minute
Average: sub 1 minute 20 seconds\


WHAT HAPPENED

2x2:
Single: sub 8
Average: sub 10

3x3:
Single: sub 20
Average: sub 25

4x4:
Single: Made cutoff once
Average: DNF

5x5:
For some reason I thought I signed up for 5x5 lol. It was on the side events day. I didn't evne compete in 5x5. IDK why I thought I did lol

Skewb:
Single: sub 9
Average: sub 15

3x3 OH:
Single: DNF(I forgot)
Average: sub 1:20(I know that)


So uh I got 8/10 of my goals. Yeah that's what I wanted.

As a response to my golas and mains post,

IM HAPPY

I'll try to compare it to my last to comps now.

Summer(2018)

  1. clean
  2. windows
  3. decent bathrooms
  4. NO CUBING STORE AT ALL
  5. honestly, pretty bad management
  6. Smells nice
  7. more than enough stations
  8. Max Park in this ocmpetition

Fall
  1. clean
  2. windows
  3. nice bathrooms
  4. awesome cubing store 
  5. great management
  6. smells nice
  7. lots of stations
  8. Max Park and Chris Tran in this competition
Summer
  1. Dirty
  2. No windows
  3. Dirty and icky bathrooms
  4. Very poor managed cubing store. I could literally steal a cube from the store if I wanted
  5. Very bad management
  6. Smells absolutely disgusting
  7. Only a couple of stations making the waiting time very slow
  8. Henry Helmuth in this competition





Lyric(s) of the Post: Even if it makes me blind
I just wanna see the light
Light- San Holo

Comments

  1. Good job, glad you did well. 80% of your goals is pretty solid for a competition, I'd say
    also now I crave pizza

    also who's max park? a well-known cuber? a kid or a youtuber idk
    but cool that you met him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. max park is like a celebrity cuber who is INCREDIBLY fast. He has autism, which people say is something that makes him better

      Delete
    2. Cool! Autism gives some people superhuman talents. Like, I saw this one vid about this autistic guy who had photographic memory and could accurately draw buildings after looking at them before. Interesting how humans work...

      Delete
    3. Yeah. It's kinda like how blind people develop supersenses

      Delete

Post a Comment