Simulation by VR album review


Virtual Riot released new music like a month ago, he dropped numerous teasers on his YouTube channel and hyped it up deservingly. 

From the teasers, I was expecting less melodic and more dubstep. I was right. I also expected color bass and honestly not much. Prolific amounts of EQ and sound design in his breaks.



But this album was FIRE. The intense drops and breaks were contrasted with slow bridges. The upbeat verses were very well-done. I'm not going to review every individual song, but rather my top 5 favorite. There were some songs I wish I could include (rip rewrite) but this album is just too stacked.

Hyperlinks are in YouTube btw :D

5. Back In Time - Virtual Riot, Angelika

A very upbeat and beautiful song that doesn't have any intensity. There's not much to say about this besides the very authentic presets. This is very classic Virtual Riot -> digital synths, casual vocals, vocal chops, synth pads, arpeggios, and last but not least.... melodic synth breaks. 0% dubstep. I love dubstep don't get me wrong but using it correctly is what separates the good from the best. 

4. CHROMA - Virtual Riot

This is some classic Virtual Riot. He repeats this same melody in the rising action, the climax, and the fall, and represents them differently. I'm not going to go in details about that, but I will for the drop + break. The first drop is just so natural. The digital synths that lead into it is so clean and the transitions are insane of course. Now the synth break is something else. It's just pure creativity, no one has ever heard sound design like this. It contrasts the beat drop so much and it's just such a vibe. I have no clue how he came up with the rolls in between the four measure phrases, but the flow of the entire track reminds me of retrovision. Like I said before, the melody placements are very well done. Insane melodic track that I love. The second break is just him flexing his sound design while maintaining a melodic riddim, pure greatness. This track is literally enough on itself to prove that he's the best sound design. Theres legit a peaceful break where he just shows that he can really do any genre. We all know this but he just pushes this into the bridge. It's incredible, it's such a story. 

3. Get Away - Virtual Riot, So Loki

When I heard this on the teaser, I was so hyped. The brief snippet was so catchy, and rap + Virtual Riot Sound Design is something I cannot miss. The rap has such a good rhythm to it and to have a counterpart of VR rhythm is insane. The "HERE WE GOOOOO" is so clean. This is a very unique song that requires unique taste to digest. It's one of the least popular tracks on the album, but I love the rapping + sound design idea. It fits perfectly to me. Just so clean, there's no intense synth breaks and it's just a nice break from the dubstep of the album. 

2. Exile - Virtual Riot, The Kids

This one is insane. Must've taken like a month or something to construct this masterpiece. Just the mood itself is so creative and something no one else can replicate. The instrument choices, ofc sound design, and WHEN THE VOCALS COME IN. WOW...

To carry these vocals with the beat is so fire, its such a vibe. I can't resist but bobbing my head along with the deepened vocal chops along with the beat. They contrast it with natural vocals soon, and overall it's such a creative song that I was considering to put at the #1 spot. Its so clean bruh, so clean.

1. This Could be Us - Virtual Riot, Modestep, FRANK ZUMMO

Virtual Riot collabs with his friend Modestep on a very emotional track. It provides such a great balance with the OTT spam in the break and the emotional cries that run rampant throughout the entire song, from the ups to the downs. The vocals are so catchy, especially when paired with the synth pads. The break isn't as good as the CHROMA synth break, but of course it's great. What would've made this song a top 5 overall song is a teminite-like melodic dubstep. He does employ this in the second half of the break with his signature vocal chops. These presets are just so original. The vocals are so well-done, it would be a criminal act if this wasn't #1. 



I wish I could include rewrite or simulation, but like I said this album is way too stacked. Thank you VR for giving me so many songs that I'll for sure enjoy for a long long time.



Lyric(s) of the Post: I dream, I see, Don't feel like running away from this

Back In Time - Virtual Riot, Angelika


Comments