band update

 

I just got rejected from NCBA. I honestly knew this would happen as I didn't start recording until like 4 days before the deadline. After I submitted all my recordings, I thought I did pretty well honestly. I thought I had a solid chance but I had that doubt inside. Well turns out the doubt was right. 

I never really practiced horn that much. I take it home like twice a week. I have lessons biweekly. During wind auditions, I'm motivated to practice daily consistently. 


Other than the sad news, let's talk about YPSO. I wanted to make a post about this a while ago but I felt that I didn't belong. I'll explain.


YPSO is a youth orchestra. I've always wanted to join one of them because it's pretty cool. YPSO is also pretty like high-quality. AKA it's a semi-serious band. So when I auditioned (around like two months ago?), it was already two weeks into the season. They were on a shortage of horns (there was only 1 horn player and they need 5). So basically I knew I would get in. Either way I did well in the audition. The following week a friend of mine auditioned for oboe and got in too. There's another friend that was originally in the orchestra since the start of the season. He actually helped send out like info about it.

Anyway, youth orchestras are boring. As a horn player, we have parts. However, it's 6-9:30 rehearsals every Monday at Oakland. We typically have sectionals from 6-7:15 and then dinner from 7:15 - 7:45. 

Sectionals is where all the sections split up and we have a separate coach for all the sections so that we can really isolate the problems so we can succeed in the full-orchestra setting.

Dinner is litearlly hit or miss. Through my (two months?) with the orchestra I've ate costco pizza, weird japanese sandwiches, TOGO's catering sandwiches, bean + chicken + rice, rice + curry, pita bread + hummus, tacos. I would say 70% of the time the food is enjoyable. It's really nice actually. 

After Dinner is full rehearsal. This part feels the longest to me. I try not to stare at my clock as that makes it worse. I'm actually assigned to Horn 1 so I actually have to pay attention too. It's not something I look forward to. Yesterday, our conductor was working with only the strings during full rehearsal for like 20 minutes straight to figure something out. It's a good thing I sit in the back because I was on my phone the entire time.

It's been like two weeks in a row where I had to stay up till 12 AM on a Monday night because of how time consuming YPSO is on this day. I literally had a history project due this morning that I procrastinated on. That was not a fun experience. It wasn't as extreme as my freshmen biology project tho.


It's 11:26 PM, I have to sleep. I can probably write more about YPSO but I don't want to.


Lyric(s) of the Post: 

Shades of new colours
Neon skies, you feel it?
Closer to danger
Just a touch won't be enough

Au5 - Eden (feat. Danyka Nadeau)

Comments

  1. Ayo there needs to be a part 2 on music I want to hear more of your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean like band stuff and practicing french horn not edm

      Delete
    2. ok i will draft that rn for me to work on later

      Delete

Post a Comment