San Holo - bb u ok? // album review

 

So San Holo released a new album on June 7th, and it's taken me 5 months to find out...


I used to loop his music so much in 2018-2019, from Light to We Rise to brighter days, to Fly to lift me from the ground. He's incredible at vocal production and melodies. His music is very upbeat, and I'm SUPER excited to check this album out. 

I still remember being at the gym and hearing Light. The vocals and melody absolutely blew me away and stopped me. I didn't have time to shazam it...

Then I hear it again a week later. I make no time to open up predownloaded shazam, and I see Light by San Holo. Then at home I search him up and this is where my love for San Holo started.


bb u ok? - Album by San Holo | Spotify

20 tracks.

  1. i am thinking of you - The 90 second intro to the track. Just a beautiful sensation that I would love to enjoy on a long carride. The resolution after these lifts are BEAUTIFUL. THE RESOLUTION IS SO AMAZING, ITS THE SATISFACTION EVERYONE NEEDS. Man. And it transitions to the next track, which is: 
  2. IT HURTS! - I don't know what I expected from this album, but judging from the album title itself, it seems to be about a breakup/love. This song extends the beauty and peacefullness of i am thinking of you. It puts a happy tune on a sad concept, and the lyrics create a very loving sensation. In terms of technicality, I really like the overall flow from lyrics to the impactful melody and also the choir which transitions into the second drop. San Holo definitely went thru something to produce such a moody and emotional song like this. This makes me VERY curious to see the rest of the album. Really like the second drop! The next song features Bipolar Sunshine. They've collabed before on brighter days, with the groundbreaking vocal samples personally. SO EXCITED.
  3. new one - bipolar sunshine - Overall, it was another peaceful song. I love his exploration of the bassline during the second drop. However, I just felt a lack of melody. It's very chill, and I added it to my chill playlist. I'm still looking for the climax of this 20 track album. Bipolar sunshine's impact was present, but it didn't remind me of brighter days at all. Interesting track, I don't hate it but it's just not my type.
  4. bb u ok? - San Holos classic vocal samples come in, but is fixed along to the mood of the album. Another peaceful song, full of beautiful chords and strings. The vocal chops lead the melody, and the first drop is the first hint of vintage San Holo. This lead single released in Dec 2020 is one of my favorites so far. The breaks give a flying sensation and make me feel free.
  5. black and white - This guy uses the same synth for three straight songs. I don't have a problem, but if there isn't a break from this synth within the next two songs, I'm going to have some strong opinions about this album. Nonetheless, the first drop has a pretty nice bass and I really like the drums overall. The flow and steadiness is prevalent, and I think San Holo did a really nice job in executing this song. The guitar is very creative, but overall.....same peacefulness. I want a breakdown in a song. I understand this chillstep is what Holo is aiming for, but every good EDM album requires a break from the theme. Simulation has Back In Time and Get Away and Rewrite. Mobile Orchestra has Thunderstruck. San Holo is building up all these peacefull and settling melodies, and I'm just awaiting for the breaking point. 
  6. i just wanna f*cking cry - The Nicholas - The vocals aren't bad. The song does drag. Overall, this is a very pleasant track with brilliant execution in the first drop. I really like the melody overall, and have no negative comments. This song independently is very good, and it's important to isolate this from the story of the album. The guitar + waves are actually so catchy. The emotion is definitely present through the repeated lyrics throughout the song and the transition in the second drop.
  7. heal (↑%) - This is one of the songs where you want to listen to again after the first time. It's addicting. The bass line and syncopation in the drums partnered along with the swaying chords and winds are magnificent. What's truly insane is the seamless key change at the 90 second mark roughly. This is what separates San Holo, and this is EXACTLY what the type of stuff I knew him for. IT'S JUST SO SUBTLE OH MY GOD, YET SO BEAUTIFUL. I LOVE THIS SONG. ADDED. FAVORITE SONG IN THIS ALBUM SO FAR. HOLY COW...CHILLS
  8. lonely in LA - At this point, it's starting to become apparent that Holo is trying to appeal the chilly day tone. He uses lots of lofi-like chord progressions in this track and it seems to reset the active vocals from the past songs. This song is a very defining song of the album, through it's short length and use of guitars/winds from the first two songs. I feel like it will symbolize a new meaning to this album. Let's see what happens next.
  9. the great clwon Pagliacci - This entire song tells a story about the great clown Pagliacci, with depressing and unmotivating lyrics about how he wakes up everyday full of emptiness and dreary thoughts. As a progression in this album, it's a very impactful tune but I'm not sure what it represents in this story of bb r u ok?
  10. i get lonely around people, too - This idea of loneliness is only extended in this 5 minute track. Another melodic guitar with prideful and quiet instrumentals. I really like the samples at the 2:10 mark. It's quite innovative, never heard something like this before. 
  11. thoughts and chemicals - American Football - More guitars and winds. Atrocious song. Get this same tone out of my life. I'm sick and tired of hearing guitars and winds with all due respect.
  12. MY FAULT - Slow digital synths towards the end of this 5 minute track. Other than that I am going to take my second break from this album to go listen to some actually creative and impactful synth lines. Never thought I would have this much trouble listening to San Holo.
  13. make this moment last - Maybe I'm being a bit too critical to this album. By itself, all of these songs hold an imaginative property. But albums should tell a story when listened to chronologically and this album fails to do so collectively. They all have this one same tone to it with little excitement. Anyway, this track was pretty sick. Nice drum&bass and cool instrument choices.
  14. find your way - Bipolar Sunshine - Judging by the amount of plays, this is one of the more popular songs out of the album, and I can see why through the guitar and bubbly synth break. Lots of wind aspects in the chorus with the bipolar sunshine impact of course. The rhythm in the verse could be sampled? I swear I heard it somewhere. 





Other than that, there is "you've changed, i've changed" with Chet Porter. Lots of drums, wind synths, and some yells that transition between synth breaks.


Overall thoughts: I'm tired of listening to this album and why are there 20 songs. I had to stop at 14 because I seriously have no motivation left.

San Holo where was electro-house? Where was electro-house? Where were the vocal chops?

Artists explore genres often in new albums, but even Owl City returned to his home in "All My friends" in his country album. 


Lyric(s) of the Post: "you've changed, it's not the same."












Comments