My first marching band competition


Yesterday I went to my first marching band competition at Modesto. We're spent a lot of time(10 hrs a week) to prepare for this competition, and I was kinda nervous.


THE BUS RIDE
My "band parent" hit me up with literally a 48 oz(more than a third of a gallon) of a lemonade and a hwole package of iced sugar cookies. WHAT THE HUE BRUDDAH

But other people got complete family size sour pathc and stuff so this was normal? Wow dang

So on the Bus ride I was on one of the two freshmen buses and bruh it was uh kinda loud. Since everyone had like big bags of chips god dang like so much food.

I listened to a podcast and solved my 8x8 and yeah did a bunch of stuff and the one hour bus ride was pretty chill. Like I never really felt bored. The 30 minute mark seemed too fast and I ate my dinner and nice.



Once we got off the bus we had section unity and some stuff, then I went to the bathroom then we did a whole bunch of practice stuff. It was pretty dark

Anyway we went to teh gate and ppl were wishing us good luck so I said "thank u" then griffin goes like YOURE NOT SUPPOSED TO REACT.


We're waiting at the gate for a while, waiting for James Logan to finish up, and they're oding some wack performance with like airpods and vans and like controllers as props so weird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mezj72jW18c



AIght so as we were waiting and stuff THE FIELD IS FUDGING GRASS. I mean grass isn't too bad but there were like pits of dirt and god dang that doesn't really matter the yradlines were barely painted bruh. you could see nothing, especially the hashes. No lines so I had to look to the side to dress. So garbage. The field completely messed us up, as dust was picking up and especially the props. I feel so bad for the brass captain, because as I was marching I noticed a hole and dang she was yanking a prop trying to get it to move, obviously making it late to the next set.

https://youtu.be/0mqayO9d76M?t=307 if you pay attention to the second to the left on the back star lol.

It's barely noticeable, so I don't think it affected anything.

Anyway, during a part in the opener someone ran into someone leading to someone almost running into me and raising their mello turning eyes so that was horrible. God dang there were so many bad parts.

But the music was good. The closer was kinda fire and I personally played well. During the ballad I decided to skip the high g cuz I was running out of air.

https://youtu.be/0mqayO9d76M?t=333
The euphonioum soloist hit the wrong note and messed up on his solo. Yikes

https://youtu.be/0mqayO9d76M?t=426
The prop most to the viewers left. Yikes the field is garbage. At this point it was supposed to be stationary.

So what was the outcome.

Since everyone performed on the same field that meant everyone had the same disadvantage as us.

We got 71 and idk what that means but it sounds good. Apparently we've never gotten above 70 in the last four years which is kinda crazy but okay.

There were only two 5A bands: James Logan and us.

The only award we got was Best Profession which means best drumline and yeah our drumline is rly fire and they grind so congrats to them. We got second out of two bands so yeah we did garbage fudge that James logan is good why did I expect to beat them.


After that on the sideline I was flaming. I wanted to punch something I just told myself to calm down but I was honestly so frustrated. I wanted to play some music to calm myself down but mys ection leaders picked me out but whatever. Vincent was feeling the same way as me god dang. Whatever honestly. When we walked out during the drum cadence something about walking out with such profession compared to all those other bands just  told me that it was okay. It was the durmline who rly calmed me down. When we were syaing the "oh yeahs" and "huh" Bro I was screaming I don't care about the ppl around me. I was so focused I tripped over a metronome and knocked it down and my knee still kinda hurts.

Idk I'm realizing now that when I tripped over that metronome no one asked me if I was okay. They all focused on the metronome and wanted to move it. Idk that just makes me sad but I didn't realize that back then


Anyway once we made it I realized that FUDGE MY PHONE GOD DANG. Quickly found Ay dee eye, find my pixel, then dandrea picked it up and told me I dropped it when I tripped over the metronome.

Well I'm putting it inside my bib pants from now on.

Anyway I ate hecka cookie, watched this kid spit a grape out of his mouth and catch it 20 times in a row, changed into comfortable clothes, ate more cookies, went back on the bus, and chilled. Bus ride home I didn't think about the performance and deicded to listen to music and make conversation with others.

SO that was my competition. Not what I expected but we'll get it next time. It could be worse tbh.

Shoutout to these ppl

Griffin in Baritone
Gloria in Mello
Ay dee eye IN mello
Josh in Trumpet
Bhavik in Trumpet
Spencer in Trumpet
Sayli in Mello
Anna in Mello
Kevin in Trombone
Matt in Clarinet
Lucas in Clarinet
Sharda in Mello
Shivani in Flute
Jerry in Mello
Sahana in Mello
Nick in Mello
Tom in Mello
Ellie in Mello
Honore in Drumline
Maanav in Pit
Alex in Trumpet
God dang eveyrone in drumline is so nice to me
and rest of mello section

I'm thinking of ppl on the spot so I probably forgot some ppl definitely Don't feel offended

Lyric(s) of the Post: No more waiting for the gun to fire
No more walking through revolving door
I've gone around once

Comments

Post a Comment