Spring break cubing break through!!! Conclusion and reflection || Final episode of Road to Sub 4

 

I feel...great? What lies in front of me in terms of schoolwork and grades is very scary, but right now....I feel great.



Before Spring Break, if someone asked me what I average on 3x3, I would be lying if I said I was anywhere near sub-20. I would've said "23 seconds."


During Spring break, I started practicing a lot of 3x3 after learning literally 5 algs. I just slowly started to get good, and I literally remember being super hyped when I would get anything sub-20. Today, getting a 19 second solve woudl be satisfactory but nothing deserving of a reaction I would have at the start of spring break. It's crazy because it's literally just a week that separates this.



Here's my progression:





The last screenshot was from a 300+ solve session from 4/9 to 4/10. It took 2 days and I brought my PB ao100 down by .5 seconds. That itself is motivation that every solve I do...I'm getting better. I'm gaining more intuition for F2L and better execution for my algs.



And don't forget skewb.




Look what it is... a global mean of less than 4 seconds!!! A huge factor of this was the new skewb I got. Another factor was that I learned a new set of 4 NS algs for Peanut + Swirl perm which is super nice since I always hated doing those cases with 4 sledge/hedges. 


episode 1

episode 2


And on episode 3, 5 months later, I'M SUB 4 WOHOOOO.





Upgrades: 

3x3 = GAN 356i -> Celeritas Weilong GTS 3M

Skewb = Angstrom GAN Skewb -> Cubicle ProShop GAN Skewb Enhanced.


My new skewb feels so light when you turn it and it's UNCONTROLLABLY fast which I love. I'm still getting used to it. I've never been able to execute certain NS algorithms so fast before and it's so satisfying. This spring break has just given me a burst of euphoria, as if the SAC Cubing XI skewb winner wasn't enough... I've been mediocre at 3x3 ever since I started cubing. It feels so good to actually be improving. I dream that one day I'll consistently average 15 seconds, and my PB single is under 10 seconds. It's possible...




With this, I've been re-addicted to cubing. I spent around 2-3 hours a day this past spring break just straight cubing while listening to JJ Redick. Sometimes more. 


I even re-setup my cube collection after more than a year. I love the new display a lot. None of my mains are in that picture as theyre all in my room, or my kilominx/megaminx/minx. 


Lyric(s) of the Post: 

"There's a fire that burns inside
It's an instinct that never lies"

Zedd - Ignite 2016 World Championship Song

Comments